asdinit

School want copies - what to do?

I had a TAC meeting with M's school this afternoon which went quite well on the whole. I mentioned in the meeting that I'd raised quite a few points with the LA about M's proposed statement and the SENCO asked me to email the points across to her too. Do I or should I do this?

Could you have a meeting with her and go over the points together.

Usually when a Statement is finalised the parent would meet with the school anyway to go over HOW the school would deliver the provision, and the school would have to get extra funding from the LA if there were any aspects of the provision in the Statement that they could not deliver.

And it might work in your favour if the head sees the points and says they cannot provide that kind of level of support within a mainstream school.

Has the SENCO said that they can meet your child's needs?

It is also worth asking the SENCO if there is any need that they feel has not been identified, or any provision or approach or therapy they feel he would particularly benefit from.

There is also the possibility that the Inclusion Officer and SENCO just say at any tribunal that they can meet your child's needs where he is placed currently. But I think the exclusions and amount of time spent being withdrawn for 1:1 [do you know exactly how many hours a week that is], give a different picture.

But that would happen, if it does, regardless of whether the SENCO knows your points or not.

Why not? I can't see any downside in keeping the SENCO fully informed. Even if it doesn't actually help I would say that it is worth it just to keep the SENCO on your side.

We are actually to see the SENCO before we see the LA - and we will be encouraging the school to respond to the proposed statement to back up what we say. In particular we are going to suggest that they state that they don't think the hours offered are adequate (they aren't) and that to keep him there without full time 1-1 will be detrimental to the other pupils.

I

I don't know the relationship you have with the senco, but for us, we have always been on the same side, trying together to get as much out of the council as possible, so to speak.