dekra

Holiday/Upcoming ADOS

Hey guys,

We are now back from our week in Tunisia and everyone has managed to enjoy it. We had absolutely no issues with Finn on the plane, he took vague interest in the flight and mostly just played with his Nintendo DS. He loved the swimming pool and would have been happy to spend the whole holiday there. Luckily his little sister who has previously hated the pool suddenly decided it's the greatest fun and she was content to spend a lot of time there after the first day.

Had 2 main incidents of note - firstly he had a complete melt down at the attempt to get him on a camel at the animal park so we didn't force the issue. Secondly he would not go anywhere near the the entertainment, I don't know how he knew but the hands were over the ears. body frozen and anxiety levels through the roof half way down the stairs to attend the mini disco even though no music was even on yet. After that we just sat in the lobby of an evening with a few drinks and chatted to each other and other guests. I would take the little one down for the 30 min mini disco and Finn would stay up with his Dad. We found our way of adapting so wee one didn't lose out. Other than that he was mostly just either uncommunicative to people talking to him (then again so was his sister) or overly friendly to the occaisional people he liked.

Oh the whole, although we didn't have the freedom to do some of the things we'd have liked to do it was nothing that spoilt our holiday. We just have to accept that we make adjustments and know that certain activities will just have to be either limited to one parent and our other child or be avoided completely. I tihnk the balance should work out fine in future,

We now have the ADOS coming up on Wednesday at 2 then a second appointment to discuss what happened and the results on Thursdayat 3. This will then be when we get his dx assuming one is appropriate. Given there were a few behaviours become apparent during the holiday that although not disruptive were weird and I felt could be ASD related (as the week went on he became more and more obsessed with the salt and pepper pots and having them on his food. There were points in the last 2 days of holiday when all he was doing was using his finger and rubbing the salt and pepper on the plate then licking his finger and it wasn't because he didn't like the food, he enjoyed it greatly. I had to clamp down on it when he was even trying to put it on his icecream. We then had to have one of us arrive at the table a few seconds ahead of the rest and hide them and hubby had to put his own salt and pepper on at another table. Weird and not one I've heard before but it did feel ASD related IYKWIM,

Feeling very positive at the moment, we've managed to adapt and take our little family and have some normal rest and relaxation with a little twist.

Forgot to say the biggest thing I noticed was he was asking for bed by 7/8pm (his normal bedtime at home) even though he was only getting his evening meal at 7. He seemed to have his internal body clock tuned to tell him it was bed time and was quite distressed at not going. A lot of distraction techniques were employed to let us sit up later although there were 3 nights I either took kids to bed back of 8 and read to let hubby relax with a beer in the bar or we both just came back and chatted in our room together. As already said just a minor adaption really and I'm sure one people with NT kids have had to do at somepoints too.

Glad you had a nice holiday - the fact you were the ones trying to get your kid to stay up late instead of the other way around made me smile - glad you learnt some methods/avoidance strategies to make other holidays easier ;)