dekra

ADOS today

Finn's ADOS assessment was carried out this afternoon. It took about 45 mins. I'm not sure what module they did but it certainly didn't require a lot of spoken language so must have been either 1 or 2.

They mostly played with some toys and encouraged him to interact with the assessor. He did a lot better on the birthday party scenario than I would have expected with him pretending to blow candles out (on holiday last week we had a candle on our table one night and he spent the whole night getting his dad to relight it so he could blow it out again). he wouldn't pretend the playdough was cake after the candles were gone but would tear chunks and stick it in the mug. He then did with a tiny bit of prompting pretend it was coffee. They were playing with a toy airplane and he was flying it but despite a few attempts when a wooden block was substituted for the plane and he was told it too was a plane he ignored it. His eye contact with the assessor was non existant for the first 10-15 mins then brilliant for the next 15 mins when they were playing with the bubbles and balloons which he loved, the last 15 mins it was significantly reduced again during snack and other play.

On the whole he did really well, it was a good day for him and I think it's better to have him on a good day than a bad day. I know a bad day might have shown certain tendancies clearer but I don't just want a dx I want an accurate dx and I think getting him on a good day and showing the top end of his capabilities is the right way to get it right.

Results tomorrow afternoon.

Sounds like he had a good day which is good. I agree with him not being "at his worst" both my boys were quite happy and chatty when they went for their assessments,obviously dx is not based on a child being "naughty" so it does make sense.

I hope you get all the answers you need tomorrow.

Thanks Justine and DS

Results today - Show's it's not ASD. So of course the next question ok so what is causing all his problems because there is so much more than just his communication. They say that he has a language disorder and confirm that it is a disorder not a delay. He also has a developmental delay.

Since his last schedule of skills or whatever it is called was done last August he's continued to develop and is behind at a level of around 24 months for everything except visual abilities which is age appropriate or even slightly better. His social communication skills have improved from 15 month level to 24 month level so that is something. His language skills whilst they have very definately improved are still only on the level of a 24 month old. They say that even the areas in the ADOS he was weak (lack of imaginative play for example) is primarily down to his lack of language skills because without the language skills to understand things and therefore relate to his surroundings and circumstances. This is also why they say he does not understand things like birthdays and Christmas. They also say his sleep issues are probably connected with the developmental delay as a lot of 2 year olds (which developmentally he is on many levels) still don't sleep properly. They do not think the language disorder and developmental delay are not directly connected.

I am happy enough that they gave the test we which we wanted. I'd have been happy to accept a dx from the test so I need to accept the lack of dx too. But yes I think they are blaming the language disorder for everything when it may still be ASD and they have said they want to review him at 6 monthly intervals for the next year to see what's happening then discuss further in a year. So yes I will ask them to re-assess in a couple of years if I still consider his social interaction and social imagination skills to be seriously lacking.

On the surface they seem to have an answer for all our concerns that they can blame on the language skills (he can't pretend the wooden cylinder is a plane due to language??). To them it all ties together and makes sense. The things that don't tie in with the language disorder are tied in with the developmental delay.

There is no point at the moment in disargeeing with them as I they do take his problems seriously and at the end of the day the name they give it is just a name the important thing is for him to get the appropriate support and there is a commitment to that with all concerned.

I am glad you have some answers and the report they give will help when he starts school as it will show all the delays. The other positive is you are not being discharged they will continue to observe and assess in the future.

I am happy enough that they gave the test we which we wanted. I'd have been happy to accept a dx from the test so I need to accept the lack of dx too. But yes I think they are blaming the language disorder for everything when it may still be ASD and they have said they want to review him at 6 monthly intervals for the next year to see what's happening then discuss further in a year. So yes I will ask them to re-assess in a couple of years if I still consider his social interaction and social imagination skills to be seriously lacking.

On the surface they seem to have an answer for all our concerns that they can blame on the language skills (he can't pretend the wooden cylinder is a plane due to language??). To them it all ties together and makes sense. The things that don't tie in with the language disorder are tied in with the developmental delay.

There is no point at the moment in disargeeing with them as I they do take his problems seriously and at the end of the day the name they give it is just a name the important thing is for him to get the appropriate support and there is a commitment to that with all concerned.

I think you are thinking on the right lines for now - and although its very frustrating having to wait - it could prove useful in the long run. Your son is still young enough to get sufficient help so for now it seems like time is on your side (to a degree - at least he isn't much older without getting help for example).

I've read the Tony Attwood book recently and it consistently says that people with AS are on average 2-3 years behind their same age peers - that's why I asked if you'd consider reassessment in a couple of years, as this could potentially show more or less indicators of AS, or something else and enable you to get a more concrete picture in your mind that explains everything - us humans seem to like to know what we are dealing with and how to deal with it :)

At least you have something to concentrate on and they are taking you seriously - which is so very important - and like you said - at least things can be put in place based on what they think at this time.

And if AS has to go on a back-burner in an official sense - it doesn't mean that you personally can't benefit from approaches used by parents of children with AS to help your son cope in the world and gain skills as the methods seem very good from what I've seen - and you could probably continue doing this alongside and with the approaches they implement based on their current findings.

Hope that things move forward - its good that they are reviewing every 6 months for a year - one step at a time eh?

All the best

Darkshine