smileyK

eating brekkie 2 hrs b4 gym sess???

i been told today by my gym buddy who i met at gym! :) that i should eat brekkie 2 hrs b4 my gym session her brother-in-law who is personal trainer gave her this advice/tip is this anything to do with metabolism rate/level??? so if i go gym at half ten or evelen o'clock... when should i eat? how true is this tip/advice?

XKLX

special Talent -yeah i know that weight nurse told me that! :) thanks anyway! just need to know about eating 2 hrs b4 going to the gym? need to know if this is correct?

no its not (in my opinion). for weight loss, you really dont want carbs before a workout. you want to deplete your glycogen levels to get the body into a exculsive fat burning state, (as with no carbohydrates to burn, the body goes strait for the fat stores) fat is the bodys alternative energy source in the abcence of carbs. so in this carb depleted state, the body has nothing to burn but fat, i reccomend doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, metobolic rate is not effected dont worry. this is also why you may benifit from a high fat low carb diet. fat is digested slowly in the bloodstream, keeping you full for hours and thus supressess the apitite. this is why dietary fat should never be exculded! some personal trainers are known for somewhat 'false' advice. also again if your after fat loss, carbs are just a big can of worms. even something starchy like oats eventully gets broken down as sugar in the blood stream. carbs spike insulin and exccess insulin stored in the glycogen gets stored as fat. dietary fat does not spike insulin and keeps blood sugar levels stable. and this may sound crazy, but the more saturated a fat is the better, its a great energy source so you will have alot more energy and what ever the magazines tell you, dietary fat does make you fat! my favorate fat source is coconut oil, it tastes great and contains MCT,s (medium chained triglycerides) and eat oily fish, is a great source of EPA,s and omega 3. and during your fat loss phase keep dietary carbs to a minimum. once your at a body fat level your happy with then you may bring carbs back, but keep them at a sensible level. eat plenty of veggies, and limit fruit to 2 pices a day. and dont drink fruit juice, full of sugar and no nutrients whatsoever. this is just my opinion, but many personal trainers (espeshilly young ones) are misinformed. again this is just my 2 cents,

good luck.

how rude of u warrior, i was told yes and it actually boosted my metabolism without the carbs i had no energy and was slower and couldnt burn alot.

you got the wrong end of the stick sweetie pie, im not being rude, just passionatley expressing my opinion. im sorry if you felt i was being rude, i just have alot to say in this department, ive spend a good majority of my life in the gym, and have a good idea of what works for particular goals, ive also spent alot of time baiting on fitness forums and from stern aguments with pepole, and being somewhat 'debunked' in some of my previous theroys, i actully picked up alot of additional knowledge. i enjoy giving pepole knowledge that i have to help them along a bit, yes its objecable and somewhat controversial but its how i see things. you should get opinions from other sources and see what works for you, but from pepole that ive known that have got there body fat down into the single digits like 6% bodyfat, (myself included) they went through a phase were they tapered down there carb intake to low levels. the post i quoted you on, is just me saying that the body doesnt actully need dietary carbs, the human body survived for 100,s of years without them. our ancestors, just ate meat, the skin of said animal, and raw veggies.and in my opinion the body 'could' function better in the long run without carbs. i eat alot of carbs because right now im adding muscle, and carbs are easy calories, but if you are trying to reduce bodyfat carbs could get in the way of your goal.

just my opinion, sorry if i offended you.

Edited by A-S warrior