Sign in to follow this  
blue

Changed their minds (again)

Hello all!

The authorities have changed their mind about my son!

They did have him diagnosed with childhood depression through his school. I changed his school.....and got a private diagnosis of Aspergers.

The NEW school said that they recognise the problem (after various letters about his disruptive and unsocial behaviour and an extremely bad school report) and felt that he should see a pediatrician.

We went to see the pediatrician who said that Joe had ADD and (anyone heard of this) ATTRACTION deficit disorder....and it's imperitive that the school get him statemented and the Ed Psyc get involved, which he has wrote in his report. He said....quote "Dont let the school fob you off with an IEP.....because of funding...it wont work with Joe"

Surprise surprise....guess how good his school report was this time? No mention of ANY of his problems...how clever they are! Do you think were heading for the "Well the school is coping so no need for a statement"?

I DO!!

No change with Joe at home and I've been called in no ends of times....but NO MENTION of these things in his school report

Arnt schools clever?......hhhmmmm....will keep you posted.....dont think they realise what a battle they have.

Funding or no funding.........he'll get what is owed to him and that's a fair and equal education.

Bet this rings a bell in a few ears?

Lisa x

Somebody has actually been diagnosed with childhood depression. I suffered from quite bad depression during my childhood and much of it resulted from school and how my parents handled the problems ineptly. Many times I told psychologists and doctors I was depressed but the matter wasn't taken seriously at all. Nobody could understand how a kid from a stable two-parent homeowning family who lived in a "nice" suburb could ever be depressed. It eventually reached the point where I was deemed ungrateful.

Canopus

I could well beleive you when you said you suffered depression as a child and how the school contributed!

At the end of the day the head has figures to juggle......and responsibility on his/her shoulders. They are great at taking credit.....watch the doors close when they are going wrong.

They are clever at manipulating.....cover themselves well.......and as long as they get the kids through the system...well who cares?

We love our son greatly.....and I'm sure we will pull through.

Can I ask you........are you better now? I hope you are!

Take care

Lisa

I had an 'excellent' report from Com's teachers this year - after the worst year he has had since getting his statement!

my reaction was to write a detailed letter to the head of year informing him of all our concerns:

which subjects he was now achieving lower grades in than he was in November (in one subject his new target was actually lower than his previous attainment and the teacher had written that he was pleased with Com's excellent progress!)

which subjects the teachers didn't have a clue who he was - one teacher changed his name halfway through to another ASD kid who is entirely different with completely different needs.

and detailing how his behaviour, levels of independence and social communication skills had been seriously undermined by lack of appropriate provision.

We haven't had a reply - except I bumped into the head of year in the corridor and he told me he was investigting my complaints - but the school now have a very strong letter with exactly what I think of the report in Com's files.

That way when the ed psych tells me what a wonderful report he's had next week I can point him to the next bit of paper in the folder!

get your thoughts in his file - it is the only way to make sure both sides are heard.

Zemanski

Blue

Neither schools, nor anyone associated with them, can diagnose a child as having anything at all. Only doctors can do that. If the paediatrician has given you a firm diagnosis (and some good advice about statementing), that's what you need to use.

My advice would be to forget whether or not the school wants him statemented, or how much money they have, as none of this is relevant. If he is statemented, the Local Education Authority have to pay for it and the school are bound by law to spend the money on whatever the statement recommends.

As both a Chair of Governors, and mum to an eight year old with an ASD, I have quickly learned that statementing through schools is a long and drawn out process which often doesn't have any conclusion.

Take this into your own hands. Write to the Special Needs Manager at the Local Education Authority and tell them that you are putting in a parental request for statutory assessment for a statement of special educational needs. You don't need permission from anyone to do it - it is your decision, based on what the paediatrician has told you.

Putting in a parental request for assessment takes all the responsibility away from the school, and YOU are driving the legal process to get your son's statement. Within about 8 weeks they have to tell you whether they plan to assess and, if they aren't prepared to, you have a legal right of appeal to the SEN Tribunal (an independent body).

When the LEA acknowledge your letter they will require you to submit evidence (in the form of a parental statement) to support your request. Get your paediatrician to write to them too as part of the process, confirming diagnosis and his/her recommendations. They will also ask other people - school, educational psychologist, behaviour support, etc - to make similar statements and some of these will involve professionals visiting school to see how your son copes.

The whole process takes about 26 weeks from start to finish, but is highly recommended and makes you feel like you are making decisions for your son rather than hoping that the school might get round to it eventually.

Good luck!

Our 7 year old (Aspergers) will be starting at Special School after three nighmare years of unsuccessful integration into mainstream. Everybody has accepted that this is the right course of action and accepts that this year was the worst by far.

Just got his end of year report and you would think he was the star pupil! No reference at all directly or indirectly to the fact that he has had any difficulties at all.

Thankfully, school reports are not part of the statementing process!

Simon