Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Moving Care Homes - concerns

Hi, I just hope that I can keep Glen at the home he is currently at next year after his educations ends in July. As adult social services in Essex want me to look at homes in Essex in the hope Glen can go in one of them as this current placement out of county and very too expensive they say. So I think I have a fight on my hands over the next few months. :-(

Do they have adults Glen's age staying on?

I would get advice from somewhere like the NAS or IPSEA, as although his 'education' may end at 19, he may still need to remain there due to 'education' continuing for him.

And is this place ASD specific? If it is then they have to come up with something which is the same. He hasn't been there a year yet has he?

Hope you don't have to go through all of this again. Can his care home produce a report about his needs and how he needs to continue there, and that any change would be detrimental to him.

I don't know how it is different if the funding is via social services, rather than education.

An organisation I have always found very helpful is the National Centre for Independent Living. You can email them your situation/questions and they will email an answer for you. This is a website for disabled people [all kinds of disabilities].

Hi Sally thanks so much for your help. I will email the National Centre for Independant Living. Yes I'm sure the home will be on my side so to speak so doing a report won't be a problem.

The education does end at the home at 19, but they can stay there until they are 25. The home isn't ASD specific but as close as it can be to that. They have their own physiologist and psychiatrist Glen's been there over a year now, time goes so quickly!

After what's happened recently I really don't think it is a good idea to move Glen next year, he is not good with 'change' and this would be a big change for him.

Where Glens reasons for going into this care home due to mental health issues and that he needed to be in a place where psychologists and psychiatrists were employed on site? If so, get that in writing. I doubt that any care home in your area would have those professionals on site, and that is why they are cheaper.

Are these needs included in his Statement?

Do contact the Centre for Independent Living [their name has changed but if you google them it has a link to their new webpage.]. Althtough it sounds like it is for 'independent' disabled people. It is an organisation that promotes independence to whatever degree the individual can work towards. I would have thought that Glen would have more independence when in a good mental health state, as that would enable him to access all the activities inside and outside he care home. If he becomes withdrawn and ill he is less independent. And heaven forbid that caused him to become violent and it became a downward spiral of isolation, restraint etc due to bad behaviours.

Keep us updated.

As his Statement ends when he is 19, what is the process after that if changes are proposed to his placement or provision, is it all via social services? If so, I would find out what the procedure is if you don't agree to changes that they make.

I have actually emailed the care homes on the list that Glen's social worker gave me, she did say that you to make the effort to visit a few care homes locally and if they do not meet Glen's needs then you can say just that which is what I intend to do if the homes don't meet his needs. However one of the care homes has replied already and I have to admit to being very impressed with what he is offering, it does sound on paper that is that it could be a very good choice if Glen has to move. I'm not changing my opinion about the fact that I think that moving glen is not a good idea but I do need to see what this home is like for myself.

The psychologist and psychiatrist are not actually on site where glen is now, but they are employed by the home and do come to visit/spend time with each young person on a regular basis.

The reasons for Glen going into a care home were due to mental health but also due to his severe learning difficulties and behavioural problems. These are noted on the statement. I do not know what happens when Glen is 19, (and the statement ends) I think I have been told but admit to forgetting what that was now so will have to ask the social worker.

I will keep you updated as to what is happening. Glen is still very unsettled at the moment due to recent events, he has again pulled the dressing off his finger, but luckily it has scabbed over and the G.P. thinks it should be ok to get the air to it now. I have been in constant contact this past week as have been so worried about glen. I hope he settles down this coming week.

Again, this is all evidence about how changes to routine upset Glen and it is helpful to have it documented incase you do need it.

Yes do visit whatever else is being suggested. But also ask his current home what level of staffing support and professional input glen needs when at his worst, because any home he moves to has to be able to provide that level of support quickly - and not be referring out to NHS which can take months.

So I would really scrutine the costs between any other suggested placement and what that cost provides and more importantly what it does not provide.

In some cases you can make savings between similar provisions, but often the lower cost is because it is simply not the same.

Hope it all gets sorted soon because the worry about it is just as draining.

Hi Sally thanks so much for all your advice I do appreciate and will do all the relevant asking etc so I know what I am looking for and to compare between different homes. It is all very draining and will undoubtedly get worse as time goes on :-(

Hi Jeanne

It must be very worrying and exhausting.

Excellent advice from Sally (as usual :notworthy: ).

Look after yourself whilst this is ongoing, you need to have a break from thinking about it from time to time >:D<<'>

Hi Mandy thanks for your comments, I try not to think about it all of the time but it is always there unfortunately I know it's a year away but time does go quickly. How are things now with your son, have you sorted out a college for him yet? :-)