Sally44

Return to School

So far it's been very good. No wobbles, no refusals.

I'm very happy with how the school have put together this years class [mainly the same kids], and mainly the same therapy team. That allows for continuity and bringing new teaching or therapy staff up to speed quickly on each child.

Could not have wished for a better start to the new academic year.

And his OCD is significantly lessened now his days are fully structured.

Wondered how it's been for everyone else?

not too bad - my elder son has started his special secondary school and he has fitted in straight away and is really really happy - so glad i fought so hard for him to go there. transporting him there and back is not so good but is a small price to play to get him the best placement for him

you know the story re Joe - hes doing okay but thats mainly due to him only doing mornings - the school have now asked me to go to the gp to get a sick note for the afternoons he isnt in school as the EWO is starting to sniff around - cant geta doctors appointment until 17th sept so she will have to wait. if she contacts me directly i will pass her over to the sen team and ask her to discuss it with them! he has a huge meltdown yesterday when we were collecting his sister - some of the children why we were waiting were calling him names and he lost the plot - was screaming that he wanted to leave the school and go to the new school we want asap. i suppose a week into school now joe is yet again coming out of the honeymoon period part and his stress levels are rising. his twin sister is lovinh her new class so all in all i think things are pretty good !

My lad has moved to a different college for a new course. He was in a unit for ASD youngsters, but it was a very closeted environment and he wasn't growing at all there. The new course means a different setting in a large mainstream college. Also, he has always had a taxi in the past but now has to travel independently to college. We'd worked hard with him through the summer to get him using buses and trains on his own and he has come on leaps and bounds.

Wednesday was his first day at his new college and he was terrified. He had to get up really early to get the bus and it was over an hour journey, but he managed all on his own. Yesterday and today he used the train, which is quicker, but not such a reliable service. At the new college he is with kids who aren't autistic, although one other kid from his previous ASD unit is with him. The other kids have a variety of problems, I think, not sure. He's coping so far and, apparently, another lad who he said seemed 'shy' has latched onto him and the other ASD kid, so they are going around together as a three. Not sure they're speaking much, but at least he isn't alone, which he was terrified of happening.

In addition, in a few weeks on a Friday he'll join a mainstream part-time English GCSE course and work towards getting up to a 'C' grade at the end of the year. I'm not sure how he'll cope with that, but so far he's doing well, getting out there and doing it and facing the challenge.

This time last year we never would have imagined him taking the bus/train to college on his own, so he's come a long way. I just hope it goes from strength to strength and that he'll be able to socialize a bit, which he has never done up until now. So a positive, if scary, new start for us!

~ Mel ~

There is a young persons (16-25) railcard for those that are interested, also disabled adult and disabled children railcards and the rules have changed. http://www.railcard.co.uk/

Trouble is with the student railcard, you can't use it before a certain time in the morning so it can't actually be used to travel to college!

~ Mel ~

Hi Sally

Glad to hear things have started well. Long may it continue!

My eldest is off to Uni on Saturday.

My youngest has started college after 4 1/2 years of not attending school. He seems to be coping and not showing signs of anxiety, so it's looking promising. Like bjkmummy I'm having to get him there and back myself which is tiring but so worth it. We may not get transport for him as he's never had a statement. Plus it would cost almost £500 a year because we're not on benefits. Plus it might not be a car on his own, it would probably be a minibus. Hey ho!

It might be worth phoning somewhere like IPSEA to ask them if there is any way you can claim back part of your travelling expenses if you are using your own car.

Thanks Sally, you've just reminded me I need to email the Connexions Adviser!

Hope things are still going well for you both.

Having a bit of a blip - spoke too soon!

He's not using the toilet whilst in school. Now having bowel problems.

So school are going to let him have a dedicated toilet where he can put his wipes.

At home he always has a bath after using the loo, which is another reason he's trying to hold it in. Lets see what happens in school.

Regards,

Sally

Yes, we're having blips as well! My lad is already isolated from the rest of the group, he says they all go off and he goes to the canteen alone and then goes to the library on his own because there is nowhere for him to go and no-one to go with. This is how it was for him at school, totally isolated and feeling that nobody wants to be with him. He's become so introverted that it's bordering on social phobia now, he just gets paralysed when with other people and can't say a thing, which then leads to them ignoring him and him being alone. He's so low and self esteem is rock bottom and he feels powerless to do anything about it. He just can't manage socially. If it goes on too long we're going to have to take him out, I think, because it will do more damage than good in the long run.

~ Mel ~