NorfolkMummy

Does adult diagnosis of AS affect insurance, mortgages, loans, etc?

Hi,

My husband and I suspect we probably both have aspergers, but are in our 40s, have children, hold down jobs and function fairly ok in life (both learned very good coping strategies). We've only recently realised aspergers is probably the reason we've been struggling in our marriage for a long time, though, and have been seeing a marriage guidance counsellor without very much success. We're both very highly anxious and have both been on antedepressants in the past (not much help) but reading about AS is helping us understand better what's been going on and we're both experiencing a great deal of relief.

Our eldest child is 3.5 years old and we are worried she is showing some of the traits. To get her diagnosed (if that is actually what's going on, and thereby liberate the school support she would need) seems to be quite a long and arduous process, which would probably be easier if we (her parents) had official diagnoses. However, we're worried about the practical effect the official 'label' would have on us?

Does anyone know if 'ticking the box marked autism' would make insurance (life, critical illness, private health and even travel insurance?) premiums go up? Would it be harder to get a mortgage, loan? Would it affect us getting private health insurance? Has anyone experienced any negative affects of having the official diagnosis, and wishes they hadn't bothered?

Thanks.

Hi NorfolkMummy

I'm sorry I can't answer your request specifically but it would be interesting to see what others come up with.

I am in the same age bracket as you had thought about getting a diagnosis for myself but decided against it for (mainly) personal reasons (but I would probably fail the diagnostic criteria anyway). I function reasonably well in life, avoid social situations where I can, have a family, mortgage etc and don't really see any reason personally for getting a diagnosis. I have nothing to gain from it, nor do I need any financial help in any way from the state.

The other thing is that there is a lot of negativity regarding AS - i.e. if you are seen to be functioning "normally" - then the diagnosis goes out of the window despite the fact all the "hidden" stresses, problems, emotions, etc etc.

I think the only thing I can say is "will a diagnosis make a difference to you/your family?" If not, then the answer is stay as you are. Be interesting to see if anyone on here has gone down that road and has achieved a positive (or negative) outcome as a result.

But if you suspect your daughter has AS and struggles a lot, perhaps it might be worthwhile seeking a diagnosis for her as this appears to open up more educational opportunities - i.e. there is more help for children with AS than with adults.

I do not know that answer, but apparently we get discount on our tv licenses. Do you work? do you get tax credits? I dont think it will affect what u said. worth asking around who knows do u have a CAB who could advise u?

I do not know that answer, but apparently we get discount on our tv licenses. Do you work? do you get tax credits? I dont think it will affect what u said. worth asking around who knows do u have a CAB who could advise u?

That sounds awesome, I'll definitely be looking into that! :)

Hi Norfolkmummy, I'm originally from Norfolk too :)