Merry

I've heard it said that you work with your problem. I used to be a SENco & Rufusrufus similar story, before we knew. How common is this do you think?

Just curious......Is it really common for people like us to be drawn to working with kids who have similar problems to us, without even understanding why we relate to them so well? (I found out about my aspergers years after my senco work). Knew I related to those children far better than others, and in fact used to think it was lucky in some way for them when they lived inside their minds, while the other "normal" kids were frantic and competetive and all over the place....but even though i had what i have and didn't know it, i never really guessed back then, ovbious now of course! i used to find seperate excuses for each of my problems!

I don't know, but I'd be interested to find out! :)

I think it's easy to slip into wanting to help other with the same kind of issues, especially if you've had a particularly rough time. I considered doing a degree in psychology and then picking the modules further down the line to do with children, but I decided against it. I've always felt I can relate more to children anyway, but then even more so with those who have special needs (even if they're not diagnosed yet - I just know). A friend of my younger brothers was on a school trip I attended to help out with and I noticed something different about him straight away, and he was so lovely as well- he's now in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers!

Working with children on the autistic spectrum taught me a lot about myself and opened up some amazing new discoveries (about myself). I always had some sort of "soft spot" towards these kids (and their parents) and felt I could connect with them.