Sign in to follow this  
witsend

DLA again sorry

Hi everyone - sorry another b***dy DLA question. Did get a couple of ideas from traceys post on DLA but am still at a bit of a loss with this one! :( Have made gargantuan effort tonight to finish off green forms and have done all except pages 22, 23, these are the ones that ask about help the child needs when they go out in day or evening (not that mine does much!). It asks 'what they do or would do if they had the help they need'?!! :blink: I don't get it. Does it mean where would they go what would they do if they had help? And what sort of help does it mean anyway I can't envisage any service/help that would be able to support my son say in a scout group or swimming class. In fact he has stopped all activities such as these over the years one by one because his behaviour has always landed him in trouble and the he has not wanted to go back! I'm tempted not to fill this bit in but obvioiusly am worried if I don't then that may go against us. Sorry I'm sure most of you have been there and done that and don't want to be reminded of it anymore :lol: But if anyone can face it then I'd really appreciate a bit of advice. Thanks - luv Witsend.

OK it does not have to be anything as complicated as swimming lessons. You just need to prove that your child needs help and supervision if you chose to do anything with them.

I remember putting a visit to the park. My child needs help to play. But he needs to be watched all of the time as he may run in-front of a swing. He has no sense of danger. He may climb to the top of the slide and jump. I have to show him how to have fun. He needs to be helped to interact with other children.

You could put you would go swimming but that it would take at least two people to be there to support your son and make sure that he was safe. He may need help dressing and undressing. He may need help to dry himself. You would have to make sure he did not just run and jump in as he has no sense of danger (do you see the buzz words)

Does any of this make sense? In other words take everyday things and make hard work of them :oops: should not really be saying that but that is, I am afraid, what they appear to be looking for.

Carole

I used the following examples

- go shopping - twice a week

- tolerate visitors - twice a week

- go to school - 5 times a week

- toileting - 7 days a week

- queuing - twice a week

- play with sibling - 7 days a week

I then gave examples of the kind of help he needs to these things. I don't know if they were good or bad examples but we did get DLA.

Elaine

Oh Elaine I really like some of your suggestions. I do use the shopping one but will store the others just incase I need em.

thanks

Carole

These are the things I put on this page (I filled in all the boxes):

Help when they go out in the day or evening :

- Communicating with people in shops, library, cafes, asking for what she needs

-Swimming

- Walking in the park

At home:

- Talking on the phone, interacting with visitors

- Doing art activities

- making snacks eg toast

I then explained, in the box they give you, exactly what help would entail, eg swimming - getting to pool, paying (help with money and speaking to cashier) getting changed, putting clothes in locker, supervision in pool.

Hope you've managed to finish the form, Witsend, good luck!

K

Thank you so much for your replies I've finally got the gist. Madde me realise what hard work the 'normal' everday things are for son (and me). I used shopping, walking the dog and swimming fro the out and about examples and playing with brother, homework and having friend for tea for the home ones. Don't know how well I've done it but I'vve done it :thumbs: Just have to wait and hope now :pray: Thanks again I (obviously) couldn't have done it without you B)

Luv Witsend.