Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

Starting full time school and still needing to wear nappies.

We spoke to Jacks headteacher before he started school about him still needing to be in nappies, she reasured us it wouldnt be a problem and no more questions were asked until he started coming home from school dirty in his first week :( So obviously i got very angry and complained to the school. They said there had obviously been a misunderstanding and they were under the impression Jack could change his own nappy!!! If he was capable if doing that then i very much doubt he would still need to be in nappies at all, and why werent more details asked about him cleaning himself at the meeting we had before he started.

Anyway the school advised me not to contact the council about it... But i ignored them and contacted the council immediatly, spoke to a lovely lady in special educatonal needs dept, who promptly made a visit to the school, carried out a risk assesment and gave my son permission to have his nappies changed properly in the disabled toilet, along with suggesting a reward chart for every time he used the toilet.

It was such a simple thing to sort out, it took 1 phone call. If only the head teacher had informed me that i would need to phone them before he started....none of this would have happened!

Just glad its sorted and he doesnt have to sit in a dirty nappy all day, that is unhygenic and above all unfair and abusive.