Sign in to follow this  
Andi76

Hi! Newbie here.

Hi everyone! My name is Andi. I'm a married mum of three children, 2 sons and a daughter. We suspect that our youngest son (4 years old) has Aspergers. We started noticed little things when he was a baby, but they didn't become very pronounced until quite recently. I have seen our HV about our concerns but she felt that he was displaying behaviour within normal ranges for his age....based on a 15 minute play session that she observed him in....playing on his own at our local health centre! A couple of weeks after our son first started school, I expressed our concerns to his teacher, who considered him to be within normal ranges of development. 8 weeks in to the term we attended parents evening. His teacher has done some back tracking and now has the same concerns as we do! She has drawn up an IEP which is up for review in December. This is all quite new to me as our two other children haven't experienced any difficulties in school. My husband used to be a support assistant to a teenage boy with Aspergers and it is his knowledge that has helped us to cope with things thus far. I know my son's teacher has put things in place to help him but my gut instinct is to go back to the HV and discuss things further with her. Any advice and experience will be gratefully excepted!!

Hi Andi

Welcome..!!!

I mum to a 17 yr old with Aspergers and have worked with children with special needs for the last 12 years.

I to noticed little things about my son, from an early age and expressed my concerns with the HV and at his primary school. Unfortunately i was told that they had no concerns about my son and so i 'mulled along' for a few more years.

It wasnt until he reached his secondary school, that i decided enough was enough and took the matter into my own hands and approached my GP. She referred us to CAMHS, where he received a diagnosis of 'AS' relatively quickly.

It is really encouraging that your son's teacher, is now working with you. The IEP is put in place to review your childs progress and as a base to begin the statement process, if needed.

You can push for an appointment at your local Child Development Centre/CAMHS via your GP (as i did), or go through the process with your son's school which usually includes an assessment by the Educational Pychologist. This an be a lengthy process. :(

I would definately say go back to your HV and explain your concerns. Keep a diary or log of things your son does and share this with them.

Trust your 'gut instinct' and push to get your concerns taken seriously. You and your family know your son better than anyone.!

Please feel free to message me if you would like to.

Bee :)

Hi Andi

I have five kids,middle two boys Sam(9) and Dan(6) both have ASD. Its great that they are already setting things up at school, it is good to have a good relationship with the school working together can be very beneficial but of course things can go pear shaped so make sure you get everything in writting about any behaviour that is unusual and IEP's,reports etc.

Another thing is although HV's are helpful they cannot refer to paediatrician,I would take your concerns to a GP. They cannot refuse to refer,thats not to say he will get a diagnosis but you must get referred and assessed. Good luck.