Sign in to follow this  
hollypoppy

questionnaires for school to get diagnosis

Hi!

I'm trying to get a diagnosis of ASD/aspergers for my 8yr old son. We've just been given 2 questionnaires from the paediatrician, one Social Communications questionnaire and one Conners' Parent Rating Scale. Has anyone got any experience of what happens once these are completed by me and the school?

In our case these sorts of documents were completed then put to a panel for consideration. If they felt that the answers warranted further investigation (which they did for us) then the referral was made to the autism team to start the diagnostic process. We had a bit of a wait, then had a 2 hour interview (parents only) with one of the consultants where a detailed history was taken and lots of notes made. Our daughter was seen in school by a speech therapist from the team and observations in class and some 1:1 work were recorded. The panel then further considered the case in light of all of that info and the result for us was then what I assume was an ADOS test for our daughter - she was in a room with the speech therapist she had met previously and was from her point of view playing, but actually was being cleverly manipulated into certain conversations or encouraged to play in a certain way and her responses and reactions were monitored by a team watching with a video link and 2 way mirror (with us there). We then got the diagnosis verbally after that assessement was completed. The whole process took around a year to complete with the waiting times here.