ASPUNKY

Yet Another Conformist " I'm New " Thread

Ughhh, it's been too long since I used a forum...

I'm William, 22 Years old and...

I've recently been officially diagnosed with Aspergers, although was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, but I believed I'd over come this by about age 15. Meds stopped etc, but I have had a torrid time at university. I found myself unable to go to lectures, e-mail staff, even leave my room and starve for days from time to time. Then in an e-mail my sister mentioned I had autism, this was the first I heard about it and it hadn't been confirmed. After reading about it, and how I behave in day-to-day life I realised this was most likely true of myself. Now after 2 years I have a formal diagnosis.

The problem I have is in acceptance of it I guess, I always tried to fit in with others at school, sure I was "hyper" but I could perform academically etc and tried to fight against support I received as I believed it gave me an unfair advantage over other children.

Now I guess I'm in a similar situation, I know I have difficulties and I need help, but as soon as I receive help I don't want it and can't accept I need it while being assisted. (just trying to approach people, do things I need to do, see tutors, know exactly what is being asked of me, etc)

Socially the main problem I have is with making and maintaining friends, since I have two interests which pretty much define me, and they are complete opposites, science and punk rock in the form it took from '76-86, (clothing, hairstyle, (most ideologies (although less so these days)).For example the ban animal testing / genetic modification etc types. Yet my academic desire in life is try and get into medical research working on infectious disease. (I'm currently a third year studying microbiology, I have withdrawn for this year however and aim to return next year)

I used to be very social online since I didn't get on as well with real world interactions, but something changed and I even withdrew from that a few years ago now leaving me today with pretty much no one. I guess that is why I am here, I can actually state who I am without worrying about the two aspects of my personality clashing so much, and to gain an understanding of this new side of my self.

Anyway, I love science pretty much all aspects (except plants), I also enjoy punk music, seeing bands play, and discussions involving social / technological / political / ethical issues.

Now to actually post this message... = /

Hi William, welcome to the forum.

Good on you for posting... I know how daunting it can all seem. I've recently been diagnosed as having Aspergers and feel that I'm doing ok although now I think that perhaps done people who know about it think I'm, for want of a better word, thick!!

Sounds like you are studying some really interesting stuff there. I hope that when you go back next year things will be easier for you as it'd be shame for you not to finish.

I think asking for help is one of the hardest things to do, the next would be being able to accept it. It is something that maybe we all need to try to be a little better at though as I'm sure our lives would be a lot easier!!

I'm not a very social person and have few friends. I've been used by many who call themselves friends but no longer associate with them. My social life, as such, used to revolve around photographing metal gigs.

I love metal music, although I must say I'm quite partial to some that definitely doesn't fit that category!! I used to love getting out to gigs but only if I was photographing them, and now realise why!! The not having to interact too much or actually be in the crowd suited me to the ground! Sadly now though I can't shoot gigs as the pain from another semi- diagnosed issue makes it unbearable.

Anyway, welcome again, and I hope the forum can help you in some way :)