Sherbet

Just saying hello :)

Hi All

Just thought i would say hello to you all.

I am new to all of this and after reading some of the news feeds and feel i have made a very positive move.

My son is 11 and since birth i just new something didn’t quite fit (not quite sure how else to put it) however we are now 11 and been taken seriously..... after moving to a new school and having a private tutor to help with his SEN they both feel my son has ASD. We have had a few meetings with the paediatrician etc and it looks like we are looking at ASD, ADD, ANXIETY and SENSORY issues - From early on we have ran life very routinely which helps, but what we struggle most of all with is the frustration levels and then the anger and that’s why i am here - hopefully to pick up some ideas on how its best to deal with these.

My son seems like he can take it all in his stride from the outside, but on the inside his problems and anxieties are erupting. I feel he waits until he is in a safe place before he expresses them (not the way i wont him too) - i also have to bare in mind we are heading to the hormonal time of life to, with puberty just around the corner.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

S.

Welcome,

SPD is a disability that involves difficulties with sensory processing. There is a thread in the 'related conditions' section of the forum.

There are quite a few books about Aspergers and adolescence that could help you.

Hi Sherbet,

My son (13) has AS, so I am a couple of years ahead of you - he was only diagnosed earlier this year - to people outside, he seems ok, but as soon as he gets home he lets it all out!! If I let him he'd spend all day on the computer - so we have to force him to come out - thankfully so far, and although he has threatened not to, he does go to school every day. We do have to bring him home for lunch and to de-stress. I'm not looking forward to next year when he changes school!!

Diane

Welcome,

SPD is a disability that involves difficulties with sensory processing. There is a thread in the 'related conditions' section of the forum.

There are quite a few books about Aspergers and adolescence that could help you.

Thanks Trekster, i have never heard of SPD so i will be doing research into that - It is all very new to me and if there is anyway i can support my son i will, it also gives me a better understanding.

Thank you and happy New Year! :)

Hi Sherbet,

My son (13) has AS, so I am a couple of years ahead of you - he was only diagnosed earlier this year - to people outside, he seems ok, but as soon as he gets home he lets it all out!! If I let him he'd spend all day on the computer - so we have to force him to come out - thankfully so far, and although he has threatened not to, he does go to school every day. We do have to bring him home for lunch and to de-stress. I'm not looking forward to next year when he changes school!!

Diane

Thank you for messaging me - i feel i have lots of questions i want to ask, as at times i have felt very alone with these outburst we have, i have tried many different ways to try and calm my son down and at times its better for him just to run its cause.

We have always followed the guidance to ADHD (my son has ADD), routine routine routine and it works well, however the emotional side of things seem to be our difficulty at the moment. For example play ground banter - if someone says 'your an idiot' he takes it literal, he goes over and over it in his head and by the time he gets home he bursts with anger and frustration and then we have a melt down - he feels 'no one likes me, i am the worst boy in the school, i have no friends' however it was playground banter and no one else has took a second thought to it.

Have you ever had issues like this?

We are the same with computers, if allowed he would stay on it all day (this makes him very frustrated and angry) so we limit it and he excepts that (most of the time) Luckily for us he is also into his bike so we try and go out as much as possible when we see the warning signs and i feel it takes his mind off of things.

Have you always had to bring your son home at dinner time from school or is this since moving to a bigger school?

Our paediatrician has suggested wearing earphones in the playground to take away some of the noise, which we look at trying out when we go back.

Happy New Year

S.

Happy New year and i hope you find something to help your son settle down soon.

Hello and welcome :). Hopefully you'll find a lot of useful information here :)