Sign in to follow this  
ash1990

well lets see what today brings

hello everyone,

well today i nave my childrens worker coming out again to see my LO and im very nervous as the last time she was fantastic but once she spoke to my HV things got change and a few porkies were told by my HV she said she had sat and had a full convo with him and understood every word he said and that he concentrated for 20 mins on one thing... i dont no what she is talking about i struggle understanding his speach and im his mummy he can say two clear word thats it. But not in the correct content like hd calls everythin and everyone mummy.

HV also told me that she was concerened about referring him for a assesment as she sees no issues with him that I think is because she sees him every blue moon and spends about half an hour with him.

she told my childrens worker she would do his 2yr assesment when hes two and half but then rang me day after and said il come day after his birthday...

i just dont really want to be told fibs to and messed around but fingers crossed i am changing my HV soon...

has anybody else had this or something like this happen???

xxxx

Hi I had my HV out to assess my son due to his speech when he was 2.5 as his 1 year old sister was surpassing him and like your child everyone was mummy, during the assessment my son did sit still and could say what 50% of the objects were when pointed to, but he did not engage in conversation or sentences or even incoherent ramblings like other children do, he mostly didn't speak at all. On the basis of his assessment the HV seemed to think he was ok until I informed her my concern was also raised due to his elder brother having been diagnosed with aspergers. The outcome is my son did receive a diagnosis of autism, he did receive a years speech and language therapy which brought him to the level of his peers, he still doesn't speak as much as his siblings but at least now we can understand him.

She didn't come due to the snow being bad... he can speak words but doesn't really understand them we don't think... he has a habbit of pointing for things or dragging me throws super duper tantrums because he can't get his point across its hard to watch.

Its not just his speach theres other things like being inaproriate with strangers trying to get there 'boobies' out highly embaressing...

Nd walking over to strangers in resteraunts or play centers nd trying to sit on there knees or sumfin, he has no fear and i mean none at all... he will hug you but on his terms nd wen he wants one he iis very forceful n in ur face with it.....

Hes a very loving little man with a huge personality though.

My mum has spoke to hv nd voiced her concerns but it dusnt help tht his dad is as useful as a chocolate fire guard nd dusnt see wats going oon.

Yeah he goes to playgroup n will play alongside others but he goes from one extreme to other from shying away to pouncing on them basically.

I don

Xxx

Hi Ash

How old is your wee lad? The things you are describing are similar to things my son does and did from a young age; going to sit on stranger's laps and leading or dragging me to things rather than indicating by pointing (although your lad seems to do this which is good). At playgroup my son stayed away from other children, preferring to play on his own (as he grew older he preferred to play alongside one other child) or fearful of other children, unable to stick up for himself and obviously 'confused' about he was 'supposed' to play with them.

Trust your own instincts. Obviously all children require guidance about what is appropriate or inappropriate behaviour but if given that proper guidance, normally 'typically developing' children take this guidance on board. It can take a lot more guidance and firm boundaries being put in place for children with ASD before they 'get' it. If there are understanding/communication issues which delayed speech can indicate then it becomes all the more difficult for the child to understand what is expected of them. Understandably, they can become frustrated because of this and act up.

Maybe take this opportunity of the child worker being unable to come to record some conversations with your little boy. Could you get your mum to do this, possibly on a phone or something? You could do simple things like offering him a snack, sitting down to do a puzzle or getting dressed/undressed. This way it would demonstrate your ability to communicate with each other and would show up any unusual behaviours. It's really unfortunate that the HV is being so dismissive of you but recording your time with your little boy in 'real life' situations may show your child worker what it is you are trying to describe. It could back up what they see when they visit.

My son was diagnosed just prior to the age of 3. Don't be fobbed off with things like he is too young for a diagnosis. The sooner he can get support the better. There are all sorts of techniques that can be used to help children with ASD learn and grow. If your little boy has sensory problems then it would be useful to know about this because this can lead to all sorts of behavioural issues too but again knowledge is power and there are a lot of things you can do to help your child cope with these problems.

Best Wishes

Lynda :)

Hey dylan is 2 thank you for your words of advice I am determined not to get fobbed off i will let you all no on any progress thank you xx