Sign in to follow this  
raelien

Odd things afoot

Thank god my son will be out of it.

The head teacher, Deputy head and secretary of my sons school have all gone! - children are leaving in droves and there is a LEA adviser and governing bodies all over the place trying to figure out whats going on,

There was a parents evening tuesday to give a chance to voice concerns about continuity and budget issues but the LEA and higher factions were extremely cagy and refused to give straight answers.

Suddenly the best school in the area is under very close supervision. -

Cant help but notice that at my last core group meeting I managed to get 16 proffesionals round one table all arguing the case. - the next day - the head is off and there are questionnaires sent out asking what I think of the schools educations policies - and structures and special need help. -

Last day today - so I dont care, - but it does make you think!

it's happening all over the place

a fantastic school I worked at is now on special measures because their sats aren't good enough - the school is recognised by ofsted as being unique in the city because it takes 3/4 overseas students' kids from the university across the road so the turnover is very high and kids with no English arrive with no notice at any time of year right through to Y6. It is rare for these children to stay longer than 4 years and most are only there for a year. There is no way they can pull their stats up. Even with very high standards of teaching, especially in literacy, which ofsted says the school has, they don't stand a chance.

so what do the local parents do?

they believe the HMI verdict that the school isn't good enough and run like drowned rats

so now they're struggling to keep numbers up with a falling local population anyway and there's another excuse for the LEA to try to realise the full potential of the school's prime city centre site (in cash terms of course)!

fortunately the school isn't named in this years round of closures.

Dot lost her school last year - another unique school serving a very vulnerable community. This was the third time in 8 years the school had had to fight closure and it was all just too much.

We had planned to send her to the school next door to us when Com went to high school (we had moved out of the area but had wanted Com to stay settled and he was in a class of 16!) but they closed that too

:angry:

Zemanski

I would read your local paper very carefully over the coming weeks. We had this in our area, and it all came out in the local press.

Of course it may just be co-incidental that 3 key members of staff have all gone at the same time(??)

Get your questionnnaire in,and see what evolves, but like you say, you're well out of it !

wac