Sign in to follow this  
Alex_a_scholar

Myers Briggs Personality Type Indicator.

I don't get the percentages either but you just type your personality 'type' into Google as Alex says and it will give a description. You are The Mechanic!

Yes, I appreciate what you are saying, but I assume the HR teams consult psychologists on how to perform the tests. Blindly administering a test without professional guidance would be silly; no HR team would dream of doing that.

You are wrong. I have been researching and investigating Myers Briggs in the corporate world for over 5 years. My findings are that input from professional psychologists who are familiar with Myers Briggs is quite low. Companies use Myers Briggs because their competitors do or as a result of articles in HR magazines recommending it. Sometimes corporations have most and least preferred personality types. Management is known to go through phases and crazes often without much rational or logical analysis from first principles.

The widespread use of Myers Briggs in the corporate world is relatively new to Britain but it is very much an American institution and firmly ingrained into American society.

You have to understand Alex the corporate world is forever looking for ways to maximise it's profit and minimise it's expenditure so it will use whatever it can to achieve those goals as the reality is a workforce in their eyes is a necessary evil and something they can do without if they can so they will employ every dirty trick in the book and more besides to achieve their aims. If you seek employment you have to submit to what prospective employers will do as the choice is tow their line or don't apply.

INTJ

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(38%) Thinking(38%) Judging(67%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)

You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)

You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

This doesn't surprise me as I am an engineer; INTJ is the character type seen by industry as "ideal" for engineers. What did surprise me was that I am still INTJ as I have fluctuated over the years. My score at work was quite different in 1998, probably more polarised. I felt I was born an engineer, and knew by age 11 that it was what I wanted to do.

I got a dx about 2 years ago saying there was definitely evidence of ASD, but the consultant couldn't be more accurate than that. Since I am "high functioning", Asperger's was suspected.

I have become more extrovert over time, especially at work because, having gained experience as an analyst, I enjoy the job more as I try to set the agenda and invent things using my experience. I still find pressure from managers to focus less on the details, especially in presentation and communication.

I have listened more as I got older, but still go with my intuition, especially under pressure.

I also allow myself to feel more than I used to, even if I don't express it. I now see feelings as a useful sensor suite rather than as a hindrance, but I don't subject myself to high emotions such as TV soaps.

I perceive more and judge a bit less. Perhaps this happens with age to many people as I realise life is not so black-and-white. Embracing the ambiguity of a more colourful life is a struggle but I will persist.

I think some of the questions could appear in an ASD survey as much as in a Myers-Briggs type test e.g. "Do you prefer a book or a party?" is most likely to be "book" for those of us with ASD because the predictability of our surroundings is helpful. This would lead to a perception of an overlap but I think the truth is that all character types may be affected by ASD but that there might be a skew in the results towards introversion and "things over people".

In other tests I have come out as primary Melancholy (introvert, things) and secondary Sanguine (extrovert, people) (the other traits being Phlegmatic and Choleric). I read the book "I love you but why are we so different" by Tim LaHaye, where he advocates primary and secondary traits but says we can all do the others at least 5% of the time. It is a good book to examine marriage relationships and how partners fit together. There are times when I think I can succeed in relationships by trying harder to make up for the extra social challenges, but other times when I feel like giving up and isolating myself. I guess this change of feelings is common.

Mark

ISTJ

Introvert(89%) Sensing(38%) Thinking(75%) Judging(67%)

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
  • You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (38%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (75%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

Edited by Mooni