Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Harry Potter question

Having just read the sixth book, it occured to me that Luna Lovegood, (who also appears in book 5), might have some AS traits:

She is often alone, viewed by the others as a bit eccentric, wants friends but does not know how to make any.

She has a capacity for coming out with uncomfortable truths

She states exactly what she is thinking without any conversational opening.

She lives in her own imaginative world and has an obsession with mythical creatures which is her main topic of conversation

She does not conform, particularly in her appearance, and is oblivious to the effect she has on others.

I could just have ASD on the brain these days :rolleyes: - but what do others think?

K

Hi Kathryn.

I thought the same, I am only half way through book 6 but also noticed how it keeps refering to her lack of tact and stating things without thinking how it will effect others. Also her dress sense is questionable.

If you have it on the brain then so do I, I always diagnose people, My eldest DD has a boyfriend with dyslexia and his little brother is always hurting himself, he broke his ankle two days ago and a few days before that he bumped into a tree and needed stitches in his head, he also falls over all the time, my DD says he will be walking along and just falls over. My DX is dyspraxia.

Viper.

Ooo good more Harry Potter fans.

Yes I agree Luna seems to have an ASD. I wonder if that was intentional on the part of JKR or whether she is accidently eccentric?

Just finished it this afternoon and thought it was much better than the critics had suggested. My feeling is that in the rush to be the first hack to write a report on it after release date, nobody seems to have properly read it or re-read the previous books to make the connections with previous pieces of information. The pattern of the Potter books is to gradually tie up loose ends about Harry's life and book 6 continues with that. I enjoyed it, thought it was exciting and felt that JK has got back into her stride after losing it on Order Of The Phoenix.

Karen

x

I'm glad it's not just me then :D . My daughter has just finished book 6 and we had a long discussion about it today. She said, without me suggesting it, that Luna was like herself, "because she has an overactive imagination, people think she's strange and she says what she thinks." JK Rowling has mentioned in a recent interview that she had great affection for the character. I would love to ask her if Luna is based on anyone she knows!

Re the book, yes it was gripping stuff, faster paced than the previous book but it leaves so many questions unanswered, I can't wait for the last one.

Edited by Kathryn

im reading 6 at the moment but havent noticed anything - mind you im half asleep most of the time lol B)

sorry but I think Luna's on drugs :devil:

she is a bit perceptive and just a little too astute about relationships under her wooliness for me to see her as AS

Z

I think she is too, but I think it's a bit clunky how her asd is portrayed (not sure clunky is the right word,but it's as though ms. rowling has a checklist of symptoms to get in )

That said, I'm off to read some more, but tis a heavy book to drop on your face when you drop off !!

I think a 'what are you reading thread' might be good ??