L M J

Should I get diagnosed

Hi, I am looking around and I am wondering if I should get diagnosed as possibly having aspergers.

I am quite sure I have it as many of my issues match with the symptoms of aspergers, equally I have dispraxia which can also cause many of the symptoms.

I can see the benefits of getting diagnosed, the main one for me being that I would have closure and not just be the weird or strange lonely kid, I would know exactly where I stand and be able to plan from there.

On the other hand for me, I have lived 17 years without being formally diagnosed and I have been alright, I have had many episodes of losing it but it hasn't been to bad for anybody to suggest anything so far. I know that there are some people who have it worse, and compared to them I don't seem to be that bad. The general rule that aspergers is detected at a young age makes me think that if I had it, I would have been diagnosed as a child.

I also am worried about the stigma and labels that accompany aspergers I wouldn't want people to think any different of me. I am also very worried about going to my GP and him saying I don't have aspergers because I'm not sure what I would do, as the probability of me having it (to me personally) is a lot higher than the probability of be not having aspergers.

What would your opinions be on me getting diagnosed be?

If there are any similar posts related to this which are just as good please point me too them as I am sure I am not the first person to ask this.

Thanks.

I have dyspraxia too I was officially diagnosed in childhood ( at junior's school) I was officially assessed /diagnosed with AS by "accident" really due to on going mental health issues that surrounded me (still do) -with anxiety depression related issues I would suggest as you have dyspraxia and issues overlap are close same I would still look into get investigated further as give you reassurance peace of mind may discover hidden issues/difficulties which can 'work on'!XKLX

I would check out the NAS information on their website about how to get a diagnosis.

Hi L M J

I think you need to ask yourself the question: "will obtaining a diagnosis make any difference to me (i.e. you)?"

Are you just looking for confirmation/closure or are you looking for official assistance, i.e. help to get employment/financial assistance etc.

I only "found out" the reason for my difficulties fairly recently which has brought about a huge sense of relief (although I was depressed for a short time wondering who I was). But I have come out the other side and having found answers to my many problems has enabled me to start doing something about it. Perhaps a little too late on one hand but on the other hand, I have managed to survive through life.

Good luck in what you decide!

I will have a further look into it and make an appointment with my GP and see what he says and see if there is anyone he can refer me too.

I want the diagnosis for me personally to find out who I am and why I act the way I do, I'm not concerned with the benefits or anything else I just want closure.

Thank you all

The problem is unless you are struggling in everyday life then you are unlikely to be referred for a diagnosis 'because you just want to know'. A friend of mine is having problems getting diagnosed because he appears to cope so well. I hope this situation changes with introduction of better diagnostic assessments.