Echo

Overstimulated

I have really wound myself up the past couple of days constantly researching and reading (about my passions...text books, web sites, videos...). When I stop, it's like my mind is still processing all the information in the wrong order at the same time, in sounds, words and pictures. I can't stop. It's like a manic, swirling kaleidoscope of ideas, mathematical equations and theories...

I feel completely on edge and I am sure I am just about on the verge of a meltdown/burnout (this is how I woke up this morning - I recognise sometimes when something is about to occur - but not in supermarkets etc apparently according to family members ).

I've been out for a walk, had a bath... etc to try to calm down, but at the moment nothing seems to work.

Last night I started a new degree course - this might have something to do with how I'm feeling. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I guess my question is;

What do you do when you feel like this?

or

What do you think I should try?

Thanks

Well, when I'm trying to do something, if music is playing - the music is all I can think of or pay attention to, so maybe because you have so much going on in your head, to try and minimize that you could put some music on, and also sing along as that can help me sometimes, especially if my breathing is a bit erratic due to panic.

Once you've started to 'empty' your mind a bit and have calmed down, maybe you can take a better look at each thing individually? Or, you could write some things down, that helps sometimes.

Thanks Willow, that's exactly what I have done and slowly it is starting to work.

Also, thank you for posting up your videos on YouTube.

They have been very, very helpful to me (in explaining to others why I feel/act etc in certain ways etc...).

It was also cool to see that one of your favourite places is Harlech Beach (as I have spent many years going back on forth for courses and work etc... which has alas, just come to an end).

Thanks Willow, that's exactly what I have done and slowly it is starting to work.

Also, thank you for posting up your videos on YouTube.

They have been very, very helpful to me (in explaining to others why I feel/act etc in certain ways etc...).

It was also cool to see that one of your favourite places is Harlech Beach (as I have spent many years going back on forth for courses and work etc... which has alas, just come to an end).

I'm glad you're feeling better :D

Also, I'm pleased my videos have helped. I don't recognise your username, have we spoke before? (Sorry if I actually know you quite well, I get confused with usernames on different sites!)

Harlech Beach is lovely yes, it's close to my partner's Grandma's house, so we go sort of regularly.

I personally think you have done 'right decision' in chilling out music or having a bath watching TV writing poetry or reading book or go for walk ( during day!) Maybe just anxiety with new chapter /adventure in your life beginning! XKLX

Hi Echo

I've just gone and bought a bunch of sensory stuff including a sensory tent for my son and I intend to make use of it myself when he's not about! I wouldn't have considered this type of thing if I hadn't been taken into a sensory room when I had OT therapy and I was very taken aback as to how mega-chilled I felt watching (and listening to) bubble tubes and watching lights slowly changing colour! I've since been in a smaller sensory room a couple of times with my son and again, found it very relaxing! You don't have to go down the road of getting expensive equipment - you can just make a little 'den' out of sheets or blankets but I've chosen to get a proper blackout sensory tent so that it's got more of a 'cocoon' feel...

Lynda :)

Hi Lyndalou,

Surrounded myself with different textured pillows on the couch and have two heavy duvets on top of me too. Got the fairy lights on and am listening to a bit of Planet Rock on the DAB (should head over to the kitchen to fix something to eat - fixated on this forum at the moment though - hubby will probably give me a shout to help him out in a bit :eat: ).

Building a cocoon sounds like a good idea too (being a tomboy, it was something I did all the time as a child/teen and I'm not opposed to the idea of seeing if I have the suitable materials at home to start building one tonight - that's if I don't get preoccupied with something else - I have ADHD and Dyslexia for certain - still seeking a diagnosis on the AS front).

Anyway, must dash...let me know how the den is coming along. K

I like the idea of sitting in a bed of cushions - cosy! However, 2 duvets would make me totally claustrophobic :P . I loved my 'dens' as a kid too...I had one behind a big bush in the garden - I thought no-one could see me there as it was so secluded but my mum could keep watch on me from an upstairs window :whistle: