Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

MRI

My son is delayed by approx 2 years in some areas of development, he always has been, He has motor skill delays and has also had a significant language delay that resulted in him needing to attend a language unit for a year along with seeing a speech therapist since age 1 and a half. He has also had feeding problems since birth, he was not able to suck on the bottle without choking and it was discovered at 14 months he had oral motor delays. He had possible fits as a baby although they were never confirmed by EEG, he seems to have grown out of these thankfully. My question is should he be referred for an MRI scan or something similar due to his history to look if there is any obvious reasons for his history such as brain damage caused by these fits or possible caused at birth or even a congenital abnormality as he had issues from birth?? Seems odd to me that this has never been suggested as to me it would be important to rule out any damage that is causing him to be delayed?? Or maybe im being an OTT neurotic mother?

Hi

MRI is very expensive and with anything medical it has to be proven to be beneficial to a patient. As it was never proven he did indeed suffer fits its unlikely to be reason enough for them to do an MRI coupled with the fact he has overcome many difficulties he previously had.

The will therefore try diagnose without medical interventions, and prehaps consider MRI if the delays become worse or if the fits begin again.