Sign in to follow this  
Amanda32

toileting

I just need some advice from anyone that as got a son. My son is 9 now but refuses to stand up to go to toilet as he says it wont come out unless he sits down. Im not sure if I mentioned this before and I know its not a real problem but need some advice for what I can do as hes starting to go alone in the gents toilets and dont want anyone making fun of him. Sorry but ive tried asking my hubby but no luck with him either.

Many thanks again >:D<<'>

Amanda

Edited by Amanda32

I don't know if it will work with your son, but my health visitor suggested putting a ping pong ball in the loo to aim at to make it a bit of fun. Sounds like he is worrying.

The standard trick is to run the tap- expect you've tried that. Or could he sit on the loo backwards and stand up once he's started until he gets the hang of it?

Let me know how you go on, as other parents have these problems too.

Hi Amanda,

Kai is nearly seven and he will only wee sitting down too. I tried to get my Dad to teach him ( :lol: ) as i'm a single parent! It didn't work.

I don't think it really matters much anyway if they sit down (much less "misses" to clean up!).

I'm sure they will get there eventually,

Loulou x

My son was 5 before he would, and still prefers to sit down, now even pretends he needs a poo so that he can sit down, when he obviously doesn't need one. He keeps saying he is scared he will fall over :blink:

The ping pong ball trick can work, same with copying others, he'll do it in his own time. Don't stress yourself out over it.

I have more problems with the dog, he's a boy of course and wee's like a girl :wacko:

Edited by lil_me

Thanx Shona, I will try that thing with aiming at something and running the tap, sometimes its easier for his father to help him with male things but he always wants me to do most things with him. Thanx for the advice too lil-me and loulou aswell, im not worried just want to encourage him to go to the loo in the way he supposed to. Yes it doesn't matter at the moment but anything is worth trying but he gets embarrassed as he thinks he has to squeeze it to go to the toilet....... :lol: Let you know how I get on with everything.

Take care guys your all brilliant, always giving good advice and I should give alot more support too really even if its just a hug if I dont know alot of info.

Amanda >:D<<'>

I used to do this too until I pooed on the floor at Child Beale Park. I was about 9 and the toilet had no seat so I had to hover above it but stumbled at the last moment and defecated on the floor. That cured my phobia about sitting down every time I wanted to go to the toilet :lol:

Jonathon, Sorry I shouldn't :lol: I expect it wasn't funny at the time.. :tearful: I bet alot of you have got funny memories of toilet training your kids or experience with yourself as a child. Still no go here he did stand up but it went all over his hands and started a tantrum and run up the stairs to his room....He will get there in the end but no pressure.

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'>

Child Beale is also known as the Peacock Farm. I think there's a crude joke in there someplace but I'm too much of a gentleman to say anything like that :D

Glad we're not alone in the sitting down loo thing. At school when J first started him and his friend were both desperate to go (only 1 loo) so J sat down and his friend stood up and they weed together. Not something we've encouraged :lol:

But at least no-one had a little accident

I too have a son Amanda, he is 8 and still sits to do everything! He often pretends he needs a poo so I don't try and make him stand up, sneeky! I think because he tries to hold it up in the air and when he's finished some still dripd out. He gets really cross and angry when it makes his pants wet :angry: But also he sneeks toilet roll in his pants so if it does leak hes got something to soak it up :thumbs: Don't think he's got a bladder problem think he just doesn't give it enough time to finish, too much of a hurry!

Good idea with the ping pong ball Shona, I'll have to try that one.

My 11 year old AS son sits down! I even recently asked him why and he says he just prefers it that way. I thought to myself, who am I to argue? If it works for him then that's ok.

Lauren