Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

Not Sleeping - for me not tom!

wondered if nyone could help me. Im at my wits end. Ive not been sleeping porperly for about 6 years or so, but for the last 2 havent slept at all unless i had sleeping pills.

I decided not to take those any more but am back to not sleeping or only for 2 hrs a night. I bought a hypnotic sleep cd which just entertains me during the night lol.

I wondered if anyone out there had or knew of anyone with this problem who found a solution, cos my patience is wearing thin. Im too tired to do anything and my kids get sick of hearing me say ive got a headache again.

hoping as there are so many of you someone can help

thanks in anticipation :wub:

You may wish to look at the thread on melatonin as it's not just for children.

It's still taking a tablet, but not a drug in the way normal sleeping pills are a drug.

Simon

I sympathise with you. I've slept poorly since J was born nearly seven years ago - not because of him but because my ME was triggered by post-natal infections and poor sleep has always been a symptom of that.

My GP steadfastly refused to prescribe sleep medication because it's all addictive in some way or other. You very quickly come to depend on it. I've found the best solutions for me are:

Regular bedtime routine - go up the same time every night and stick to it if you possibly can. Get to know your body clock and work with it, not against it.

Keep your bedroom for sleeping and sex only. Don't watch tv or read there because you'll come to associate it with those activities. Keep it restful so that it's easy for you to relax.

Keep the room temperature comfortable, not too warm or too cold. Open a window if you like to have cool air in.

Use lavender oil on your pillow. Mixed with a few drops of lemon oil (NOT lemongrass) it's like knockout drops.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol generally, but definitely cut it out altogether for about four hours before bedtime.

Try relaxation exercises before you go to sleep. Start with your toes and work up your body, completely relaxing each bit before you move on to the next, emptying your mind as you go. It's hard to begin with but persevere and it does bring rewards. You might have to go around again two or three times but it is worth it. I

If you get the chance before bed (and you probably don't) a warm bath can help. OTOH it always overstimulates me so it doesn't work for everyone.

Try using wax ear plugs if you can tolerate them and if you don't need to be on the alert for noises during the night. I can honestly they have revolutionised my sleep in the past few months because as a light sleeper the slightest noises would wake me. Now I don't notice them at all.

Lettuce contains chemicals which induce sleep, and I've read that eating a white-bread lettuce sandwich before bed can help.

Hope that's given you a few ideas. If I think of any more Ill let you know.

Good luck!

Karen

x

:wub:

thank you for yr prompt answers I will try all suggestions, I had heard of melatonin but was reluctant to try it - does it effect you in any way?.

Is it expensive, as I cant afford to pay too much for remedies.

will try all other suggestions before i go down that route. Have tried most of yours Karen, to no avail. I havent tried the earplugs though, they may be ok, but my mind wanders as soon as i hit the pillow and i cant stop it, ive tried to block out my thoughts but they keep going regardless.

thought te hypnotic tape would help but i dont think i can be hypnotised as my mind wont even stop then, the dr says imagine you are in a garden which is peaceful and quiet, so im thinking what type of garden, should it have flowers or not, by the time i stop thinking the tape has finished lol. :wub:

I find having a mug of horlicks (yes I know I'm getting old) and then when I get to bed, if I start to think of things I give myself a good talking to (in my head) I tell myself it is not worth thinking about things as there is nothing you can do about it this time of night. Then I put myself it a completely empty white room. The other thing I do is unpack my thoughts into a box, then close the lid and seal it shut so you can't think about them any more, they are sealed away.

Might sound daft but it works for me and if my mind wanders remind myself of the box or the stern talk.

The one other thing I can say is don't lay in bed if you can't sleep, get up walk about sit in a room but don't just lay there, it's frustrating and you end up anxiouse. Then try again.

Hope that help a bit I know how it feels.

Viper.

Poor you >:D<<'>

I haven't really suffered from insomnia badly myself, but here's an idea...

If your thoughts go whizzing round your head, you could try keeping a notebook by your bed so that you write down the things you're worrying about, especially if it's things you are trying to remember to do the next day??

Bid :)

thanks for suggestions, although my head buzzes its not really worries that bother me, it just drifts on its own from one subject to the next. I tried putting my thoughts in boxes and it did hep for a while but they wont stay there now lol.

I may get up although im reluctant to do that as son who has AS is light sleeper and wakes at every noise.

also i disturb my snoring sleeping hubby :devil: who isnt too pleased at that!!

even though hs snoring disturbs me lol :angry:

have looked at melatonin, but am confused as there are drops and tabs and dont know which dose to go for, starts at 1mg and goes up to 5 ;)

Edited by elaine1

Now I've finally got my dd going to sleep before midnight lately, I was having trouble retraining myself so now I'm taking melatonin and it REALLY helps me. I am taking 3 mg about 30 min. before I want to sleep. I do it another night or so and then I think I'll be ok without it, it is really a matter of re-setting my own body clock.

It does no harm or have a lasting effect--I think it just tells your body it is time for sleep so I'm not sure if it will help if your problem is more along the lines of not STAYING asleep once you've gotten there but it is certainly worth a try.

I hope it helps you!

I have ordered a paul Mckenna cd called sleep like a log. I this dosent work im giving up and taking Melatonin, honestly i cant take much more.

Im so ratty and tired the poor kids have had enough of me shouting!!

:devil:

will keep you informed lol. Im really scared of taking melatonin though dont know why.