Sign in to follow this  
Echo

I really love computer games and films but...

Hi all :)

I really love computer games and films, but...I cannot play first person games or watch films such as: Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield, for more than five minutes without feeling really ill (motion sickness, pins and needles, twitching, hard to breathe, think, function...).

Is this an "aspie" trait? And, if so (or not): How many others experience the same kind of symptoms?

I have the same problems with escalators and travelling on buses (which have now turned into phobias).

Another thing I have noticed, is that I cannot give any eye-contact or speak to people properly for over about 5 hrs after having been working on a computer or having been listening to music. Is this NT, AS or completely unusual behaviour?

It would be really interesting to read your responses to this post as I really need your help. Not so much to play games (although, it would be nice :) ), but mainly with travelling on buses (as I do not drive and live in a fairly rural area - I have anxiety about driving too, but, that's another story :)).

Thanks for reading,

K

This could be a sensory processing issue. You maybe getting overloaded. Have a look into Sensory Processing Disorder and see if that sounds at all like the things you are experiencing.

There is medication you can get for motion sickness. Some of it has a sedative effect too. My son was prescribed Alimemazine by the GP.

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the reply.

I remember commenting on a post about escalators before and have found a few threads on issues with computer games and films (a coincidence that Blair Witch Project was mentioned back then too?) and have seen a short film about Aspergers/Autism and buses. Although I feel that a few people on here have the same problems (gained a sense of unity) it didn't really explain much to me.

Sensory Processing Disorder? Never heard of it before, I'll do some research in a bit.

Thanks again.

Any other ideas, comments etc are still welcome :)

Yes, can safely say that this "sounds" like me :) Thanks for the "heads-up". Now I can talk to the psychologist about SPD issues when I have my first assessment session. Cheers

I think I'm agoraphobic, because I feel the same way when I go in public places. Prior to a panic attack I had years ago, I don't remember having the anxiety feelings I do have nowadays. However, I watch and play a lot of horror themed movies and video games, yet they don't really sway me to get anxious.

My favourite games are sci-fi or horror orientated (apart from RPG's - Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs etc... which are my main form of escapism).

As long as I can fully see the character and control the camera with the character as a point of orientation, I'm fine. Otherwise, rather than anxious, I get motion sickness pretty much straight away. This is a pain in general, but I tend to hire a lot of games, which do not indicate on the cover whether they are first-person or not. So, not only do I feel ill, I also feel: disappointed and that I have wasted my money.

Some other games such as: Metal Gear Solid, the Lego games and Final Fantasy also make me ill (especially the fighting scenes) because of the type of graphics and colours used to make them. The jumping around, my depth perception...all play a part. That's one of the reasons why I believe that I have SPD as well as AS, ADHD and Dyslexia.

I can relate to the panic attack which caused your agoraphobia problem (I won't go into too much detail now as it is a fairly painful experience to explain at the moment. Sometime in the near future maybe). But, I wanted to let you know that you're not alone :)

Edited by Echo

I got into horror games around 2000. I've been a horror fan for much of my life and I have a huge collection of horror DVDs, which I frequently buy online. My consoles include the Xbox 360, original Xbox, GameCube, PS2, an NTSC PS1, a Dreamcast, Sega Saturn and I also have a Wii, which I keep forgetting I have as I'm rarely on it.

I just find that today's games really aren't the same as when they were from 1992 to 2005. In that time, you had such classics like the first three to four Resident Evil games, its successor of sorts in Alone in the Dark, as well as the GameCube remake of the first Resident Evil title, plus Silent Hill 1-4, the Clock Tower series, and some other notable ones like Parasite Eve and Dino Crisis.

Now, you don't get scary games at all on consoles, although hopefully that will all change soon with The Evil Within. Amnesia is often cited as a great current generation horror game, but I often unfairly dismiss PC games as I've been more of a consoles gamer.

The problem with survival horror is that it was fresh and interesting at one stage. However, gaming companies know the big bucks comes from purchasing games with more action oriented game-play, thus, most games released post Resident Evil 4 in 2005 - have all been horror games sugar coated as action titles, incorporating less tension and more co-op aspects. How can you really feel concerned about being alone and with not much ammo when ammo shortage isn't that big of an issue anymore? I think I could take a breather while Ricky over there on Xbox LIVE deals with those three Hunters running my way and Shaun and Dave have me back if I get into a confrontation with Nemesis.

Yeah. So not scary! :)