Sign in to follow this  
jillyl123

Your experiences of school ...

Hi, I'm going to be teaching a 6 year old boy who has ASD he will be in my mainstream class of 30 children.

Does anyone in this forum have experience of this from a parent or student's point of view? What worked well? What didn't work?

I just want to do my best for this boy and have no real experience or training.

Many thanks, Jill

Hi Jill,

It's wonderful for us parents to see a teacher on our forum who is keen to help a child with AS.

If you go the Education section, I have bumped to the top a thread that covers many of your questions :)

Nellie may be along soon with a direct link, but I can't do those yet!! :lol:

What a lucky boy to have a teacher who wants to learn about AS :thumbs:

Bid :)

Guest flutter

great to see you researching

form my point of view

please listen to the parents, and i know sometimes what we feel we need for our kids is totally unreasonable, but try and accomodate, cos we do know our kids best.

What a breath of fresh air to know a teacher is doing what they can to help their AS pupil.

My son is due to start a language and communication unit after summer so i'm pretty new on the School side of things. I would just say the same as the other guys, just listen. Theres some fantastic books around too for you to swot up on.

I hope all goes well and that you let us know how you get on.

Take care,

Love Kirstie. ;)

Hi there, I m a mum to a boy on the spectrum, he used to have one to one when in mainstream, my biggest tip is to make as much of your work with him fun(they can get bored very easily), praise praise and more praise, and you will need patience,once you have an understanding of each other and they trust you they ll be putty in your hands, Penny