mumtoadozen

Saw this article!

I saw an article on the BBC news website and wondered what people's views are on it.

I know myself it's been a bit of a battle to get my doctor to refer me for an assessment, based purely on her assumption that it's generally a male disorder and because 'I could keep eye contact' (when I was actually focussed on the bridge of her nose) my issues were biological as far as my anxiety was concerned. Needless to say I had full bloodwork done all of which came back normal.

I'm just wondering if any other ladies here have had the same difficulties getting a diagnosis and what your opinions are in regards to this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23613816

Hello

Im an autistic female who was diagnosed in her teens. Are girls worse affected than boys? Or do they stand out more because males aren't expected to be sociable or do things autistics struggle really hard with. Until I was a teenager I was a quiet child at school.

I do try the delayed imitation method of learning social cues from others but it is very difficult to maintain. I think as my sensory processing system recovers then it will be harder to maintain sociability in the community.

Hi

I advise you to present your Asperger’s case to your GP. A passive observer becomes an active partner. Think about this as your new project from the point of view of a researcher (third person POV) employing your critical thinking. In your profile you indicate that you study BS in criminology. Make it your case study. When you collect some solid empirical evidence/ observations, write it down no longer than 1 A4. Next, you need to find a good piece of advice how to negotiate your case with GP.

Here how you can go with it. Find some relevant info/recommendation for Asperger adult assessment . There’re only three modules of Generic characteristics Asperger vs NT. Define each and give some relevant empirical proof ( behavioural patterns).

I found that negotiation with my GP was in fact an easy sailing unlike many talks with different occupational psychologists who have their own cognitive schemata about Asperger adults . All people you’re going to meet WILL have their own goals/agendas. For example some GPs like power games. Some will try to balance YOUR goals with their considerations (their priorities in funding patient’s treatments/assessments).

Edited by Tanya52