Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Indians with high functioning AS

Has there been any research or materials produced about Indians with high functioning AS? Almost all research and case studies of people with AS in Britain and the US are devoted to subjects of European origin.

I would suspect that there are people of all races with varying form of AS - I just think the majority of study has been in Europe as you say.

Research into AS could be lacking in India or seen as a low priority issue (can anybody confirm this?) but there are plenty of people of Indian origin in Europe, the US, and Canada where the majority of studies currently take place.

If every parent of somebody with AS of European origin told me that "AS affects all races equally" whilst having never met somebody with AS who isn't of European origin gave me £1 then I would be very rich!

They definitely exist. Two Indian brothers diagnosed with high functioning AS joined a support group I'm involved with earlier this year. In a discussion the question was raised as to whether AS goes undiagnosed in people of Indian subcontinent origin due to cultural factors or social expectations. Would Indian kids with high functioning AS be viewed differently if they attended a school that was mostly white British than if they attended a school that was mostly Indian? Does anybody have any figures for diagnosis of AS in areas with a high proportion of Indians such as Ealing, Harrow, and Leicester?