Frey

Anxious Over Choice.

I have been just diagnosed with Asperger's and am going through a difficult time as I try to reasses situations in my past that may have been caused by it. I'm not sure what actions are triggered by my condition and would like to ask for help.

I had a job interview this morning. I got to the place fine, but when I saw the building I was completely freaked out because it had three entrances. I was so confused I had an anxiety attack. I started fidgeting with my fingers and walking around in circles wondering what door to go in. I couldn't see anybody int he windows and became nervous about meeting people. Unfortunatly, it got so bad I went home and missed out on a brilliant opportunity for a job. I am now kicking myself and beating myself up.

Is this anxiety over choice a part of Asperger's or is it something else?

Anxiety like that has been a constant in my life, many times I've struggled to find the right building, right door, right person, and panicked. Its not easy to say if anxiety is part of having Aspergers, a consequence of it, or totally independent of it- each person is different. Most people have anxiety now and then, but just handle it in a better way - or recover quicker. It can take me days or weeks to recover from a really anxious moment. Having Aspergers probably does affect the way people handle anxiety.

Learning to manage your anxiety will help, as anxiety is a natural response when we are being tested - ask your GP if there is any anxiety management courses you could do, or buy a self-help book.

You could always ring the company and say you were unable to attend your interview and arrange another interview, if possible. Part of anxiety management is facing the things that make you anxious, and try to handle them better.

Its not easy, and I do it from time to time, but beating yourself up just serves to keep you trapped as you are - you have to accept you have these difficulties and try and work on them.

Anxiety is part of Aspergers, having difficulty making choices is also part of Aspergers. being diagnosed with something that is

likely to affect you for the rest of your life is anxiety provoking in itself.

Have you been offered any post diagnostic support and advice to help you understand how Aspergers affects you?

Do you have support for Autism or Aspergers in your local area?