Mr Salvador

greetings all, am i in the right place yet?

Greetings all, newbie here. 35 and come to the realisation that its rather obvious im an aspie although adult diagnosis difficulties, im adjusting to my self slowly but surely. Thought I just had dyslexia and bit of ADD/ADHD as a child until my sister said she's been talking to my estranged mother about how she might have missed something with me. They didn't know much about asd in the 80's so got punished a lot for 'chanting' and staring. Ok im getting nagged to do an errand so life stry continuation at a later date ok. Hi all, by for now

Hello Mr Salvador, and welcome to the forum!

These all apply to me too: "Conversation about theoretical physics, space time and relativity. Languages. Learning new things and cooking. ...Also like like logic puzzles and solving problems".

I loved your signature comments. I couldn't agree with you more. :)

Hello and welcome to the site, i hear there is good support for people in your area post diagnostically.

Hi all, thanks for reply! Didn't think id ever find a place with 'like minded people' perhaps I have?! Thanks michela I might add you. Trekster, did you mean lots for diagnosis in my area? I've come up against problems with York hospital, my go got to apply to Leeds general for the diag and then apply to York for funding? Bizarre. Hope it comes soon. Any update on stuff in my area id be greatful

Sorry i got your area muddled up with somewhere else. A search on nas.org.uk website came up with this link

http://www.thetukecentre.org.uk/

hi, thanks for that. im sure ive heard of that before but then my gp is telling me that York hospital doesn't do diagnosis and hes got to apply to leeds to do the test and apply to York for the funding?! surely he would know about the tuke centre?

other obvious complications include lack of parents to give childhood witness. my new partner works in mental health around here and has been amazing helping me with this. she is able to talk to the doctors in words they understand and are used to hearing. shes been amazing really. im hoping that her desrciptions will be enough but am trying to get my sister to get my estranged mother to write something down for me that will help although I cant hold my breath. in some strange way in her mind she might construe anything she could write as an admition of guilt for her part in what happened to me as a child.

hope my partners and sisters comments will be enough. I always known I was different, and I always knew my brain could do things others couldn't. even as a small child I used to talk about things and my mother was confused and told me I shouldn't know things like that how do I know this? he thought I was a witch and tried to beat it out of me as if my behaviour was though choice. and unnoticed childhood sezires where they described me 'chanting' and rocking back and forth in the chair with my eyes rolled back in my head. through a long journey of searching for the why, I have come to the realisation that being an aspie with dyslexia is the only thing that ever made any sense out my life. through the abuse I obviously learnt how ways to hide myself from people all too well. I had become a stranger to myself trying to conform and since ive started the journey in 2007 when my sister told me to 'read this' after shed been told by the mother that 'maybe she missed something with me' as she is now a teacher and sees asd issues everyday...but I digress, since I started the journey im becoming more and more comfortable with my new life as 'aspie and proud'. i express most of the symptoms listed and am more than certain that this is me. i really am comfortable with it now and am learning to relax and 'be myself' and explore the hyperisms that my brain can do where others cant. maybe at some point i will be able to find a way of making money from my super talents and never look back again at the things i cant do or understand like the lowest form of wit.

im hoping diagnosis will give the people who care about me some respite from their frustrations that they just think im just a stresshead with no emotion or social skill

i would also like to further my journey connecting with like minded others so that i can explore the full capability of my mind and never ever hide my intelligence from others again. perhaps i dream of having an aspie counterpart in life where we would learn faster ways to communicate and ultimately invent lots of new things as i did as a child, so that my mind can make me money instead of trying to conform for minimum wage 9-5 tedieism false faced realty which never works because they never like the new guy trying to re-oragnise their business, even though they know what im saying is logical, just so stuck up because they been there for 20 years...blah blah now im just ranting

any updates on the Yorkshire diag stuff, most appreciated

One place you could meet quite a few Yorkshire and other autistics including me is autscape.

Www.autscape.org

It's a retreat conference for and by autistics.

York.org.uk brought up a few sections about autism including a phone number 01904 554256 but that's the teaching team. They could know who else to contact regarding funding for autism/aspergers diagnosis.

There's also a document for the adult autism strategy which would include information about diagnosis.

Edited by trekster

hi, thanks for that. im sure ive heard of that before but then my gp is telling me that York hospital doesn't do diagnosis and hes got to apply to leeds to do the test and apply to York for the funding?! surely he would know about the tuke centre?

other obvious complications include lack of parents to give childhood witness. my new partner works in mental health around here and has been amazing helping me with this. she is able to talk to the doctors in words they understand and are used to hearing. shes been amazing really. im hoping that her desrciptions will be enough but am trying to get my sister to get my estranged mother to write something down for me that will help although I cant hold my breath. in some strange way in her mind she might construe anything she could write as an admition of guilt for her part in what happened to me as a child.

hope my partners and sisters comments will be enough. I always known I was different, and I always knew my brain could do things others couldn't. even as a small child I used to talk about things and my mother was confused and told me I shouldn't know things like that how do I know this? he thought I was a witch and tried to beat it out of me as if my behaviour was though choice. and unnoticed childhood sezires where they described me 'chanting' and rocking back and forth in the chair with my eyes rolled back in my head. through a long journey of searching for the why, I have come to the realisation that being an aspie with dyslexia is the only thing that ever made any sense out my life. through the abuse I obviously learnt how ways to hide myself from people all too well. I had become a stranger to myself trying to conform and since ive started the journey in 2007 when my sister told me to 'read this' after shed been told by the mother that 'maybe she missed something with me' as she is now a teacher and sees asd issues everyday...but I digress, since I started the journey im becoming more and more comfortable with my new life as 'aspie and proud'. i express most of the symptoms listed and am more than certain that this is me. i really am comfortable with it now and am learning to relax and 'be myself' and explore the hyperisms that my brain can do where others cant. maybe at some point i will be able to find a way of making money from my super talents and never look back again at the things i cant do or understand like the lowest form of wit.

im hoping diagnosis will give the people who care about me some respite from their frustrations that they just think im just a stresshead with no emotion or social skill

i would also like to further my journey connecting with like minded others so that i can explore the full capability of my mind and never ever hide my intelligence from others again. perhaps i dream of having an aspie counterpart in life where we would learn faster ways to communicate and ultimately invent lots of new things as i did as a child, so that my mind can make me money instead of trying to conform for minimum wage 9-5 tedieism false faced realty which never works because they never like the new guy trying to re-oragnise their business, even though they know what im saying is logical, just so stuck up because they been there for 20 years...blah blah now im just ranting

any updates on the Yorkshire diag stuff, most appreciated

Unfortunately I've never been academically successful and have I believe an average intelligence with no outstanding skills or abilities that are any use in creating a more secure financial future.

I think I must have some form of learning disability my reports were always saying i had good attendance tried hard but unfortunately didn't attain the desired grade.

Information seems unable to remain in my memory and I have concentration issues and in a classroom environment I can't follow what's said and if more than one person is talking at a time It's even worse.

I zone out as I'm in the room but my mind isn't it's a horrible feeling everything is just too much to deal with.

Then in another way I can remember certain pieces of information on topics or subjects, I have always been interested in certain characters throughout history a favourite being George Armstrong Custer.

I've never taken a history examination but I could talk about the battle of little big horn clusters life and the reasons that led up to the battle and his subsequent death without having to refere to written notes or prompts.

However if I concentrated on English literature or car mechanics or technical drawing some of my subjects in school and I did try the information wouldn't stay in my head and yet even as a child I could tell you a lot about George Custer.

It's very frustrating I've never understood why I can remember certain things and not even the basics of others there must be a reason but at 49'i don't think there would be much support from my doctor in trying to determine the reasons they would see it as a waste of funding.

One place you could meet quite a few Yorkshire and other autistics including me is autscape.

Www.autscape.org

It's a retreat conference for and by autistics.

York.org.uk brought up a few sections about autism including a phone number 01904 554256 but that's the teaching team. They could know who else to contact regarding funding for autism/aspergers diagnosis.

There's also a document for the adult autism strategy which would include information about diagnosis.

thanks I will look at this more, however there aren't many pictures to see whats going on. just doing lectures is a bit boring, do they have sensory rooms? I mean I know I an adult but I like to touch things that look like they feel nice. id like to find out ideas of things that so I can have them at home to relax

Unfortunately I've never been academically successful and have I believe an average intelligence with no outstanding skills or abilities that are any use in creating a more secure financial future.

I think I must have some form of learning disability my reports were always saying i had good attendance tried hard but unfortunately didn't attain the desired grade.

Information seems unable to remain in my memory and I have concentration issues and in a classroom environment I can't follow what's said and if more than one person is talking at a time It's even worse.

I zone out as I'm in the room but my mind isn't it's a horrible feeling everything is just too much to deal with.

Then in another way I can remember certain pieces of information on topics or subjects, I have always been interested in certain characters throughout history a favourite being George Armstrong Custer.

I've never taken a history examination but I could talk about the battle of little big horn clusters life and the reasons that led up to the battle and his subsequent death without having to refere to written notes or prompts.

However if I concentrated on English literature or car mechanics or technical drawing some of my subjects in school and I did try the information wouldn't stay in my head and yet even as a child I could tell you a lot about George Custer.

It's very frustrating I've never understood why I can remember certain things and not even the basics of others there must be a reason but at 49'i don't think there would be much support from my doctor in trying to determine the reasons they would see it as a waste of funding.

some of these traits sound familiar.

I am 35 and still waiting for funding for adult diasgnosis. I am however certain that aspergers describes me to a T. high intelligence low social skill. frustrations and anxieties about tiny things, OCS's about everything I do, no understanding of sarcasm and take everything literally. comfortable discussing the working dynamics and purpose behind things like the hadron collider but go into a panic attack at the mention of a party or wedding. I even made some orange lensed glasses to wear to go out shopping in town etc to reduce my panic from light glare which also gave me something to hide behind when there were lots of people around. I could go on and on but needless to say this is all new to me too and I know how it feels useless trying because ive been misdiagnosed my whole life

however I think even at any age, it is time to come out of the closet as it were and be true to yourself as I am trying to be true to myself now that I am awake and see no reason to attempt to hide or conform anymore. I want to be seen as useful as an aspie, as I have a talent for higher level thought and a certain level of intuion that I guess I have learnt in getting around not naturally understanding facial expressions.

I think that if you know in yourself that this applies to you then you should chat here more about your thoughts and come to understand yourself and how everyone else is coping with certain situations. so far, even after mere days, I have found people here to be most accepting and supportive and a sense of 'self' where for the first time in my life I have been able to talk about things I have never ever talked to anyone else about...and nobody took the micky out of me, you know why?

because everyone else here are logical thinkers too, sa you will be if you are on the spectrum. and people make posts looking for help wheres the logic in making fun?! surely the logical thing to do would be to share your thoughts in order to understand yourself more and to help the others to understand better too. shared wisdom and understanding is it not?

see when I joined, im already loving it! be yourself, be together as one!

as for memory loss, this is something I struggle with. apparently anxiety is a major factor in memory loss, this is why I struggle to remember anything but science and engineering related matter.

I guess everything else has been deemed unimportant at some point and what I did yesterday and when I showered last is somewhat irrelevant when It comes to memory space. my mind thinks a very lot about the potentials of science and concentrate little on the now and buying postage stamps for the letters infront of me that have probably been there days, or even longer than ive been on here. I guess this can be perceived by the NT world as a lack of concentration, but they don't know what wonders go on in my head. if you too are new to this you are at the start of journey, im not sure the words to describe it but its a journey

it is true autistic spectrum disorders can account for obsession about particular sunjects, but I cdouldnt agree or disagree on potential diagnosis from what you have said, nevertheless it is against the rules to make judgements on your behalf. people here answer questions here, and there is an abudance of information here at here for your to look through to make up your own thoughts and persue your journey of understanding yourself better

good journey

thanks I will look at this more, however there aren't many pictures to see whats going on. just doing lectures is a bit boring, do they have sensory rooms? I mean I know I an adult but I like to touch things that look like they feel nice. id like to find out ideas of things that so I can have them at home to relax

They dont have pictures to protect the privacy of the participants. There are activities like workshops a sensory room and board games.

My poor memory improved with avoiding gluten and dairy for life in my diet and lifestyle also taking high doses of fish oils, or omega 3s for vegetarians they can use flax seed oil.

What's the deal with gluten then? And I love milk and cheese

We use flax all the time