Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Kris

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team

Moving schools

Recommended Posts


Hi all


We are thinking of moving our son from a mainstream school to an independent specialist school.


He has a Statement, and I just wondered what the process was if we intend to pay the fees for the new school?


I would also be interested to hear how the process would differ if we wanted the LEA to pay or contribute to the fees.


It may be helpful to know that if we moved schools, it would likely be next January, and our annual review should be next February.


Finally, our reason for moving is that our son is cognitively well-matched to the mainstream, but his education, social development, etc is stalling because of the environmental challenges of being in a busy school, large class, etc.


Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What you need to prove is that your son is not making academic, or social, or emotional progress where he is currently placed. That he is cognitively able and should be making progress and therefore is not suitable for any of the LA 'Special Schools'. That the gap is widening between him and his peers. That the independent school has skilled teaching staff and therapy staff that he NEEDS ie. for a SALT to say that he needs xx 1:1 therapy and xx group therapy with xx other children of a 'similar peer group', which the current mainstream school cannot provide.


That due to his needs he needs class sizes of less than x pupils [usually around 8 for an independent school]. No mainstream school has classes of 8 pupils or less.


That he needs 1:1 OT therapy for sensory integration or sensory issues, or dyspraxia etc.


That he has a SpLD [does he have Dyslexia?] and needs a specialist teacher.


You can ask for an emergency review of the Statement or you can ask for your child to convert to an Education and Health Care Plan [all Statements will revert to these]. I would check via somewhere like IPSEA, what you would need to do to get an early review of the Statement or EHCP, because you need that to take into account your parental choice of school BEFORE they move.


Can I ask what the age of your child is?


If you can prove the above, and that your parental choice of school is the only one that can meet their needs, then the LA must pay the fees, because the Statement or EHCP will name that school in part 4, and a Statement/EHCP is a legally binding document that the LA has to fund.


So please find out the above from IPSEA. If you tell us your child's age that will also help with the advice given.


And please ENSURE that you don't just go for the 'cheapest' independent school because you are afraid that the LA will refuse to pay the fees.


A Statement and EHCP has NO LIMIT of the amount of funding it draws.


It is about IDENTIFYING NEEDS, and finding a placement that can meet all those needs.


For example my son goes to an independent school The fees are around £50K a year. Plus he has dyslexia, and his Statement says he must receive xx hours a week of specialist teaching from a teacher qualified to PATOSS Level 7. That is an additional £10K a year. He also gets two nights a week residential, which is another £12K a year. And we are seeking funding for a full time 1:1 during the day and also Psychologist or Psychiatrist Behavoural Therapy programme for his OCD. And whatever that cost is will be included in the Statement/EHCP.


His school have also recently informed the LA that he needs to travel to/from school in his own taxi as his OCD makes it impossible for him to share a taxi with other children/adults. That will be an additional cost too.


Hope that clarifies things.

Edited by Sally44

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now