Sign in to follow this  
annie

IPSEA Website

I agree. Our Lea was found out. But one of its officers claimed that Ipseas claim on their site was rubbish. I asked our Nas officer at local branch and they said Ipsea was correct. It seems leas just feel they can say and do what they want and No one is really interested. What it needs is more press coverage. When I asked local parents if they were aware of the fact the sec of state had told local lea to stop writing illegal statements no one was aware. If its not publicised then how will parents know - LEas are hardly going to publicise it.

Hi admum,

When we first started out trying to get help for our son. We were told point blank that he wouldn't be assessed, then he wouldn't get a statement, then he wouldn't get a place in the ASD unit............he got all three. But only because we did all the pushing.

Many parents feel that if schools/LEAs say no once, then that's it. Many don't know about people like IPSEA, ACE and the NAS advice lines because school/LEAs wont tell them.

I found out about IPSEA by myself and have never looked back.

I agree, LEAs are never going to admit to any wrong-doing, they are very rarely made accountable for their mistakes either. Thank God groups like IPSEA are trying to change that. B)

Annie

I agree Annie. Unfortunately its the better informed parents who are able to fight. I feel so much for those who are often misled. In our local new Nas branch we are trying to do seminars so that parents can be better informed. We too had to fight to tribunal twice and I think someone needs to review the tribunal sysytem. Im aware that one local Lea routinely doesnt turn up or try and get last minute adjournments when they are really just playing for time. The tribunal has the power to award costs to be paid. Perahps its about time that in those circumstances it did. Ipsea do a brilliant job but they need to be more widely reported so that all parents get to know about them. When my son was first dx we were v naive. We asked senco to put us in touch with other local parents. Bearing in mind that it was 600 plus school with large sen dept it seems strange that we were advised that there were none with similar difficulties! We were never told aboutipsea, nas or any local groups by the school. The hospital was better and to be fair has triedto support parents and help them meet. In desperation I put up a flyer in the local hospital. Im sure that leas and schools dont want parents to meet and talk as we can help each other! Our local lea statementing officer seems v wary of parents meeting. It has to be saidthat our local PP officer is v much lea driven and hated by most parents who meet him.

Hi admum,

LEAs seem to driven by cost-cutting at the expense of children's education :angry: I agree hit them where it hurts most.....the money-pot.

Our statmenting officer agreed with everything that the school said until IPSEA got involved and I contacted our MP. There was a complete turnaround afterwards, even to the point of telling us that the school had acted underhandedly :angry: I think that she was more in fear of losing her job more than anything in the end :oops:

Your comment 'LEAs and schools don't want parents to meet and talk as they can help eachother' ...........so true.

Annie