Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Why is ds such a bad sleeper

Hi

does anyone know why it seems to be that poor sleeping is a feature of ASD?

Thinking if we know why then maybe we can do something about it ;)

Elaine

We were told by our paediatrician that a lot of people with ASD do not produce Melatonin naturally. This is what makes people sleepy and relaxed in the evening. The paediatrician prescribed Melatonin for him last September. He slept like a dream (12 hours) for about 6 months and now it is hit and miss. The evening is still more relaxed and he goes off to sleep fine after having Melatonin but he has started waking again in the early hours of the morning. This happens every couple of weeks and lasts for a few days and then things settle down again. I have been told there is not much I can do about this.

We have been fortunate as we have got a disabled facilities grant so that he can now have his own room which should stop him disturbing his sister. Building starts next week so that should be fun!!!

Denise 2 :)

LOL, I was meant to answer this thread I think. It's after 4am and last night, I went to bed at 10.30pm having stayed up all day and having had no sleep the night before, thinking I would make it through the night and at 2.30pm, I awoke. I have not been able to sleep through the night since I was a teenager. I can sleep perfectly fine during the day, the right amount of hours but no matter how tired I am or how little sleep I've had prior to going to bed at night, I always wake up during the early hours of the morning.