Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Kris

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Sign in to follow this  

Housing needs for 2 daughters with severe Autism

Recommended Posts


Hi all. First post here so here goes. I'm hoping someone can assist and maybe point us in the right direction.


Ok we are a family of 5. We have 3 daughters aged 8, 4 & 2. The two youngest have already been diagnosed with severe 'classic' autism. The 4 year old already attends a specialist autism school for 3 days a week (moving to full time this sept)We are in receipt of dla and my wife also receives carers allowance for both.

Housing wise we live in a small ish 3 bedroom new build which means our youngest has to share with our eldest. We can't put the 2 asd siblings together due to them having meltdowns when they are anywhere near each other. The problem we have is they desperately need their own bedrooms due to the sleeping issues the 2 youngest have. They are frequently waking our eldest and it's effecting her general performance at school. Quite often she will sleep with her mum and I'm on the sofa downstairs. It's open plan downstairs so we have no way of separating them when they have meltdowns with each other.

So that's a bit of background. The question I have is as our house is unsuitable for adaptations I wondered what the possibility is of being moved into a bigger house by our local council? We currently own our house and we cannot afford to move to a bigger house due to us only being a single income family and simply can't stretch to a bigger mortgage.

If it's possible we qualify for a bigger house I still have no idea how to get the ball rolling about asking/applying. Do I ring the council? Fill out online forms, who to speak to etc etc. Our doc has said she will provide a supporting letter advising we should be in a bigger 4 bedroom house but as I mentioned I've no idea how to start all of this.

Any help much appreciated. For the record we come under South Ribble Borough Council.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd assume that because you own your own home that the council have no obligation to provide a larger home for you all I can think of is if you'd qualify for any grants or financial help to extend your home by adding bedrooms.My nice lived in a council house her son was severely physically disabled and the house wasn't suitable and even though eventually they tot rehoused into an adapted home it took ten years.Try googling charities or I remember from years back the rowntrees foundation provided grants and help to families but I'm going back twenty years.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this