Sign in to follow this  
julieann

A chance to make a difference or so I thought.

Hi all,

My son has Asperger's Syndrome, H.F.A. and Dyslexia. He is 16 in November and has been educated at home since June 2003. We were advised by the education authorities not to try to put him back into mainstream school as he is too traumatised by his experiences.

Although it is too late for my sons education I spend hours studying, researching and finding out about the different behaviours and learning styles that would make a difference to our children.I am at present doing a dyslexia teaching course.

I really thought I had finely got the chance to make a big difference to at least some of our special children.When out of the blue I was offered the post of L.D.A. working with two new year 7 girls who will be starting in September.

One has a dx Asperger's Syndrome and one has the label Autistic type tendencies.[ Which means she only gets basic resources and saves the LEA money.]

I work in a large all girls secondary school as a member of the support staff. I have always helped in schools with children. They seem to take to me. Probably because I take the time to actually listen to what they are saying and I don't judge them no matter what they have done. Children behave the way they do for a reason. Not to deliberately wind us up, although it usually does. They are trying to communicate their needs to us in the only way they know how.

:oops: Sorry got on my soap box again. Used to conversing with educational professionals or should that be converting educational professionals.

not parents who are the real professionals.

I observed both girls on year 6 induction day. I had already seen their statements and had some knowledge of their needs. One of the girls has quite obvious problems going upstairs. Her statement advises help on the stairs.

As the school is on three levels I asked the senco what help she would be having on the stairs. I was told that she had managed on induction day so she wouldn't need help initially. We would have to see how it goes. :wallbash:

The other girl has a statement which says that she cannot write for longer than 5 minutes at a time. I asked the senco will she need a scribe. I was told that on induction day a member of staff had seen her write for 20 minutes and so it has been decide that she is probably trying it on and just doesn't want to write. :wallbash: Need I go on? Do they know how hard our children try to keep up and fit in? My son managed for a full two weeks at the start of his new secondary school term. He slept all weekend and often all day Thursday and Friday of his school week.

The school are going to find that they have made a big mistake taking me on as I am determined get these girls the help they deserve.

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Hi Julieann,

I just love your determination B)

My son who is only nearly seven (ASD) could not cope with mainstream, I took him out in March, and have been home edding him since.

Have just recieved a proposed statement, but have decided to continue to home ed, as he cannot cope with school environment.

One part of the report really p*****d me off, it said that my sons behaviour depends a great deal on the mood he is in, they obviously did not put two and two together with the fact that it says, he is hypersensitive to sounds, smells, textures etc, also cannot cope with hoards of kids, therefore his behaviour actually depends on his environment and sensory issues, and certainly not 'what mood he happens to be in' :wallbash:

I wish you all the best, and know from your attitude that those girls can rely on you :thumbs::thumbs:

Brook :)

There us still an awfu; lot of ignorance out there! I have no doubt that the girls you mention Julieann were doing their utmost to try and 'fit in' on the day. How much effort did that take on their behalf? More importantly how long would they be able to keep that up - not for long I imagine!

Statements are issued following a long and convultuted process, normally over many months. For the SENCO to just dissmiss it after a few short hours beggars belief. I hope that their parents are aware of this attitude and they are able to take steps to address it. At least they have you on their side.

Hi Julieanne, thank goodness for people like you :thumbs: .My son is due to transfer to HS in 2006, he is statemented ,but still Iam dreading this.When my youngest starts primary I hope too go back to college and qualify as a classroom assistant , parents like us know the real implications school has on our kids. Take care I think your great and I,m sure these 2 girls will think so too B)