Sign in to follow this  
Millymay

Birthday coming up

Just wondering if anyone has any useful suggestions for ASD son's imminent 7th birthday. We've decided to think really carefully this time as so many birthday/Christmas presents have been disasters. Anything with "bits" is a no no as they're lost in 5 minutes and he has very poor hand/eye co-ordination. We got him T-rex hot wheels at Christmas but as he does not have the imagination to create games with it it was redundant and pulled to pieces within a fortnight. All he really plays with are gameboy/playstation. (If only there was a range of toys for ASD children, that would be wonderful!) He does like anything gory or spooky (current obsessing with blood/brains/graveyards etc) but not many toys like that really!

We bought my son a PS2 eye toy and games. It's been a huge success. :thumbs:

It's fun, great for co-ordination (my son is dyspraxic), it's relatively easy, it's good exercise (I'm worn out), it's not mind numbing like some games, it energises you and it?s fun for all the family. My one tiny quibble is that it can give negative comments about low scores, which might upset some children, and me! It would be great for a party!

Good luck, I hope the birthday is a success.

Nellie xx

Every kids different of course but my sons motor skills improved with both his gameboy advance (which is a god send and goes everywhere with us) and his Geomag, which is a magnetic lego really, ok he doesn't make many different things but he takes it apart and puts it together, keeps his fingers busy

Hi Millymay,

If you're after gory and spooky try Games Workshop - they do skeletons, graveyards, skeleton chariots with skeleton horses etc. My AS son (9) loves them all - he has a poster of the grim reaper on his wall which he loves!

One problem - a lot of them are models which you have to build - but what we used to do is build the models and he painted them - messy and time consuming but fun. He now builds them himself and it has really improved the hand/eye co-ordination.

They don't come apart at the end but they look great on shelves and windowsills. Dunno, he may be too young still but it's a fabulous shop even if you're not into Wargaming and Dungeons & Dragons.

You could also give Forbidden Planet a try but that might be just a one-off shop here in Newcastle - it has loads of Nightmare before Christmas merchandise.

B) Forbidden Planet is quite cool been there before

Games Workshops also a good idea, Warhammer figures etc, a hobby he can build on if he enjoys it

Thanks for your suggestions, will definetly try Games Workshop. Though gameboy has been a lifeline to us too, (long car journeys etc) we'd really like to get him into something else as well, difficult as he's also got ADHD and his attention span is really low.