Sign in to follow this  
paulfoel

Claiming DLA for son - hes in college now

Not sure what to do. As we all know, the PIP/DLA people are not the fairest so I'm not sure what to admit to.

Both PIP (went to tribunal) and DLA (appeal) they gave him zero points to start with. In my experience they try not to pay anyone.

He was diagnosed on the Spectrum 5 years ago now. He REALLY struggled but now hes doing much better. School was awful for him but he still managed to get into Uni. He even managed to pass his driving test (now that was not easy - another story about complains there!). Hes doing really well.

Hes in Uni 100 miles away. We were worried but hes doing OK. Not 100% but OK. Hes registered as needing special assistance and hes a college counsellor. Struggles socially but getting there. Of course, we're mega proud of him.

Thing is, does it count as still living at home? I reckon hes here about 50% of the time. Should we really be going through the initial forms and seeing what he can now do?

I'm a bit torn. I don't want to claim fraudulently but, as I've said, the behaviour of the DLA people is not great. I don't want to admit one thing is better and they give him zero points again.

Anyone else been here?