Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Applying for Income Support and Incapacity Benefit

Hi,

Whilst still locked in battle over my daughter's educational future (see education thread) it occured to me a couple of weeks ago that as of 1st September (last Thursday) she would be officially "over 16 and not in full time education". This means child benefit has now stopped and so have the entitlements that go with it ,such as free prescriptions and glasses, unless and until she goes back into education.

As she was due an eye test I quickly made her an appointment whilst she was still technically on the school roll so she could get new glasses which she needed.

I've been advised that she can apply for Incapacity benefit and Income Support in her own right. I'm filling in the forms which are a real pain - the usual thick booklets but not quite as bad as the DLA, many of the questions don't apply. Realised half way through that they had sent the wrong IB form - there is a different one for 16 and 17 year olds. :wallbash: Not sure how to answer some of the questions: "when did you become incapable of work?" Well she's never been capable of work. :unsure:

It's such a rigmarole when all I wanted is for her to carry on getting the things that her peers going into the 6th form are still getting for free, until we get out of this educational limbo. Just one more thing to think about. :wacko:

Just wondered if anyone else with has been in this situation with their older teenager?

K

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/ib3.htm

States she must have been unable to work for 196 days to qualify. You may be best off discussing this with her GP so the sick note/letter they provide matches what you say.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Pa...AgeBenefits/492

Has the rates on for Incapacity Benefit.

Incapacity benefit doesn't qualify you for free treatment, prescriptions etc unlike Income Support and Job Seekers Allowance.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Pa...AgeBenefits/493

Has the rates on for Income Support

Any award of Incapacity will be taken off what she is entitled to on Income Support. If she gets more Incapacity than the single 16-17 year olds allowance for Income support plus the Disability Premium, she will not qualify for Income Support usually.

:wacko: Confusing isn't it

I do know of a teenager with ADHD who was able to claim Incapacity Benefit but at the time he was unable to qualify for Income Support. The good thing was he was able to goto college part time, 16 hours without it affecting his Incapacity Benefit. I believe this is still the case and worth looking into possibly for other parents.

Good luck with the form filling, definately the worst bit.

Edited by lil_me

Kathryn,

This is the information I have on Incapacity Benefit.

Incapacity benefit (replaced Severe Disablement Allowance in April 2001) is a benefit payable to someone who is unable to work because of sickness or disability. It is paid if Statutory Sick Pay has ended or you cannot get it. You must have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions and have been incapable of work for at least 4 days in a row.

Young people who have not paid sufficient NI contributions will still be able to claim provided they are aged over 16 but under 20 (25 if you were in education or training at least 3 months immediately before age 20) and are incapable of work and have been for at least 28 weeks without a break.

You can claim IB even though you may still be at school/college provided you attend for less than 21 hours a week (any part of a course that is not suitable for persons of the same age and sex who do not suffer from a physical or mental disability does not count towards the 21 hours). IB is paid at different rates depending on how long the claimant has been unable to work.

IB may not be enough to live on particularly in the first year, if this is the case you should consider claiming Income Support.

Initially the benefit office will accept a certificate from a doctor stating that the claimant should refrain from work. Later they will usually have to undertake a medical examination to stay on IB. Some groups are exempt from this such as people in receipt of the highest rate of care component of DLA.

This is the information I have on Income Support

Income Support is a means tested benefit to help individuals (aged 16 to 60) and families on a low income and with savings below �8000. It is intended to help people incapable of work due to sickness or disability, people who care for a sick or disabled person, and people who are a lone parent responsible for a child under 16. If you are working it must be for less than 16 hours a week, your partner if you have one must be working less than 24 hours a week (their earnings may affect how much you get). Savings of over �3000 may also affect how much you get. IS can be claimed on its own or as a top up to other benefits, it consists of a personal allowance and a number of premiums such as the Family Premium (if you have at least one child), Carer Premium (if you or your partner receive Carers Allowance), Disabled Childs Premium (if your child is getting DLA at any rate), Enhanced Disability Premium (if your child is getting the highest rate of DLA care component), Disability Premium (if you are disabled and receiving one of a number of qualifying benefits), Severe Disability Premium (if you receive Attendance Allowance or DLA care component at the middle or high rate).

If you are getting Income Support

you are also entitled to :

? Housing benefit and Council Tax benefit ? see F.11

? Free prescriptions

? Free NHS dental treatment

? Vouchers for glasses

? Grants and loans from the Social Fund ? see F.12

? Free School meals

? Help with fares to Hospital appointments

? Free milk and vitamins for pregnant women, nursing mothers and children up to age 5.

My son was over 21 when he last worked so the rules were different for him.

You could always try the Citizens Advice Bureau for advice and help filling in the form, I'm sure you have enough on your plate just now.

Good luck

Nellie xx

Hi kathryn -

Have nothing to add to the excellent links/advice already posted, but did want to offer this, >:D<<'> , and my very best wishes to you and yours...

Really good to have you back, pity the circumstances have to be so awful.

L&P (as always)

BD