Sign in to follow this  
Malika

Gov page about sen children /and autism

There are a few good ideas floating around from the government. The document: Autistic Spectrum Disorders: Good practice guidance, is one. It is full of what 'should' be happening in schools regarding ASD provision. There is also an 'early intervention' series of books and flyers for various disabilities/disorders including ASDs.

If it is of any use I wrote an essay for Uni last year about the partnership that 'ought' to happen between home and school when a child is suspected of having an ASD. It got a 2.1 and is a guide of sorts to what to expect. The references may be useful. If people would like to see it I will have a word with Admin and see if they would be willing to post it up (it is quite long!)

Hi Phasmid,

I think it would be a good idea.

I have been given this morning from a key worker who was send by another helpful mother 3 files one is "background information" it is part of the project "Early support" (for under 5, too late for my son unfortunatly) the others are "Information for parents autistic spectrum disorder and related condition" and "Information for parents speech and language difficulties" I have to say that they are quite good and hopefully the younger children will benefit from it. The problem remain for the children who are diagnosed later in life they have not put much support in place yet, but I have been told that they are working on it.??!!

As for the relation between school and home I think it is absolutly essential and that schools should stop putting their nose up and treating parents like stupid ignorant, because even if some parents are not the most educated they definitly know their children better than anybody else. It is very effiscient for a child with ASD who tend to conform to rules to be given the same message at school and at home. Most parents get angry because they are ignored or even accused to be too protective as if they are the one responsible for their children developmental delay I am not saying this never happen but for what I have seen parents are doing an amazing job. :clap::clap::clap:

I like to read your work I hope you will be able to put it through, thanks. :D:D:D

Malika.

I have all the early intervention material. It is, as you say, very good. The need to do the same for school aged children is obvious! I will email admin with the essay and see if they are happy to have me post it up. It may be useful.

I e-mailed admin with the suggestion. Offered to e-mail it to them for approval but no response. It is the best part of 3000 words so it would be B-I-G. I don't know if it would fit on a page. I may put it on my website and add a link here. Too much work on to do it right now...give me a few days.