Sign in to follow this  
streamdreams

"First Time" book

My wife came up with the idea of a first time book.

The idea is , a bit like a diary, they get to write the date and what is was the did for the first time, sort of collecting victories. the typical sorts of things are the first time i tried, carrots, first time I tries pancakes, the first time I washed my hair my self , the first I wiped..... what ever

Works real well however tonight DS said

"I need to put something in my first time book"

"Great , what did you do ?"

"Nothing I just forgot the write the first time I wrote in my first time book!" :devil:

:star:

J

Edited by streamdreams

as part of Com's cognitive behaviour therapy/anxiety management he was asked to keep a 'happy things' book

he records anything that makes him happy and tries to write about the feelings that go with it (this is by far the most difficult bit for Com)

we went out and chose a really special note book and then he went round with the digital camera and took photos of things that make him happy around the house and wrote about some of them.

now when he's had a good time I just say 'do you want to put that in your happy book?'

or sometimes I'll say 'you haven't put anything in your happy book for a while, is there anything you want to write about?'

I provide pictures, either of the event or from the internet, to focus him visually and sometimes I scribe for him but not often now.

The book is a gem - really delightful - and something I wish I had from my own childhood. It really focuses him on the positives which he has a lot of difficulty with usually and it also gives an insight into what makes him tick.

Zemanski

I've thought about starting a similar one with my son, more for visual reasons as when he's asked about things like when we went on holiday etc he can remember very little.

Thats not a bad idea actually, they are coming down in price a lot and its not as if they need a super hi tech one, my sons only 6 but I think if shown he'd be able to use it and the boys have a PC each in their bedrooms so he'd be able to put the pictures on his own, he has to get us to take pictures everywhere we go, constantly 'photo of that' spot on idea B) will discuss with his Dad tomorrow

Com also sticks in things like tickets and draws emoticons

I find I have to do most of the picture side of it because he sees it as too much 'work' with the writing too.

The book is only about A5 so we print out very small pictures - the smaller the picture the better the quality with digital cameras

don't go for a really cheap one, you need at least 3 mega pixels to get satisfying results with a digital camera but you can get those fairly cheaply now, that cheapo catalogue shop with the dreadful ads on TV have one at about �40 but you can almost certainly do better than that - might be worth trying a second hand camera shop.

he's taking his book to school to show our advisor tomorrow (she does the cognitive behaviour therapy with him) - I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it

enjoy

Zemanski

This was what we were discussing last night, we'll have to get the youngest one aswell, he loves cameras as it is, sometimes he pinches ours, he puts it back so the only way to can tell is there is random piccys of everything on it, inc himself, well half of his face usually as he puts it on a table to take the pic :lol:

Hello

I have started a "special book" for my son with all the pictures that are important to him ie escalators, lifts, golf clubs, fans, snooker tables etc. Gosh, I spent ages on the net trying to get a decent picture of an escalator and finding lift pictures was even more difficult.

We use this book as a reward, I have made one for school as well to use in this manner and time will tell if it works.

By the way, my poor wee angel has got a tummy bug - it is such a shame as he can't really tell me what is sore.................... :sick: