83 members have voted

1. 1. Have you applied for DLA?

• Yes and was succesful
    • Yes but was refused
    • Was refused and appealing
    • Appealed and won
    • Appealed and lost
    • Never applied

she hasn't asked for anything for government but yet thinking about it more deeper she saving the government money in services we all need in different kind of ways to cared and support for so wrong to ask for recogition of deciation and admiration inspiration!

Hi ALL,

I am really confused about whether I should appeal the low rate mobility decision. I know what the criteria are and I think my DD fits into the criteria for high rate mobility. She has extremely shortned tendons in the backs of her knees due to tiptoe walking for so long before it was caught. She has to have plaster casts fitted on both legs in something called serial casting every few months. She also has to wear Day Splints on her legs under her shoes and special shoes otherwise. If we are walking very far we usually end up carrying her all the way there, luckily because of the lower rate mobility payment we were able to buy a cheap car which has helped immensely but I feel like we are one breakdown of our 1996 corsa away from being without transportation again.

I am so grateful to be awarded DLA in the first place I don't want to feel like I am just being greedy and trying to get everything because I realize that there are children with much more severe physical disability than Lib, but I honestly do think that she fits the criteria for High Rate under the guidelines.

Does anyone know if they take a look at your whole claim again if you appeal one part of it? I am also worried that they may reduce her money if I appeal? Has anyone ever heard of this? Thanks, Skye

I was diagnosed with AS a few months back but was refused DLA, although in hindsight I probably didn't fill the form out very well. I'll have to have another crack at it.

More disconcerting is the fact that I have to go to a medical examination to review my suitability for incapacity benefit. I'm pretty nervous about it, and wondering exactly what relevance an examination done by somebody unqualified in this partiular field has. I'm not always the greatest of communicators, and am worrying that I'll end up getting my benefits cut.

Has anybody else been to one of these medical examinations? Am I worrying for no reason?

Edited by Loop

Well, I went to the medical, and I can't help feeling that my worst fears have been confirmed. The examiner had no interest in anything I tried to explain and focused only on the answers to very simple questions. The fact that I have worked in the past, before my diagnosis, and that I managed to get a bus alone to the medical centre seemed to be the only things of importance. My explanations of the psychological stress and anguish that I've been through, the dozens of times I've lost jobs and homes, was of little consequence and were pretty much waved away.

Still, I'll have to wait and see what the decision is, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

I applied for my 6 year old in April 2009 and we had a reply last week. He gets middle rate care but no mobility. I had a lot of help from the guide on the Cerebra site and help from members of another forum I use. I'm sure if I didn't have that help and support there is no way we would have been sucessful.