Sign in to follow this  
Suze

Advice and info needed for school

Hi guys I,ve got a few problems at the moment. The worst being playground fighting and teasing. Does anyone know of any down loadable literature or books I can let the school have. I think they need some help they ,re not handling the situation well :( .A document with stratergies and advice to help ASD kids cope with teasing and games and perhaps some social skills type literature. I,d be grateful for any pointers, many thanks Suze x.

Look up Peterborough LEA and search their website for a document called 'dinner,dinner batman'.

It rips lunchtime play and supervision to little bits and rebuilds it in a very logical manner. It isn't aimed at ASD problems but at problems generally. That said all the advice in it works very well if used as a pointer to 'Best practice', and not just for lunchtimes either! If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Found it. You can get it from here.

As I say it is NOT ASD specific but it is the sort of document, if used correctly, that makes lunchtime play a pleasent part of the school day. I wrote a 10,000 word project on lunch play and the ramifications for whole school behaviour for college this time last year. It seems to have vanished from my PC's otherwise I'd offer to e-mail you a copy.

Things a bit rough here tonight (a relative has just died). If you can give me a few dyas to sort things I can dig out my own copy and get the reference list off it for you if you would like (or should I see need) them.

Let me know.

Hi Suze, done some digging about in 'My documents' and found I had a 3/4 written version of my research from last year - with references list! Some might be of more use to you than others as you can probably tell from the booktitles, those marke ** are recomended as seeking out for certain. Anyway I hope some of them are useful to you.

Good luck getting the situation sorted.

Blatchford, P. (1989) Playtime in the Primary School. Reprinted 1993. Routledge. London.**

Blatchford, P and Sharp, S. (1994) Breaktime and the school. Routledge. London.**

Bromley, N. (2000) New ways to play: Improving the Quality of Recess. In Responsive Classroom. Winter 2000 Vol 12 No1. Northeast Foundation for Children. Greenfield MA.

Brown, D (1991) Play, the playground and the culture of childhood. In Moyles, J (Ed)(1994) The excellence of play. Open University Press. Buckingham.**

DfEE (2000) Teaching Assistant File; induction training for teaching assistants. (Ref DfEE 0131/2000) Department for Education and Employment. London.

Fox, G. (1998) A handbook for learning support assistants: Teachers and assistants working together. David Fulton Publishers. London.

Lindon, J. (2001). Understanding children?s play. Nelson Thornes Ltd. Cheltenham.**

Remnant, J. and Wood, T. (2001) dinner dinner BATMAN. Peterborough City Council. Peterborough.**

Titman, W. (1998) Play, Playtime and Playgrounds: Key issues for teachers, supervisors and governors of primary schools. Southgate Publishers. Crediton. **

Hi , :)

Have a look at some of my last posts #41800 #41772 #41770 and #41461 I have put some links and refer to some books which could be very useful The book from Early support could be the best to hand to your school (think it is post #41800)

Click on my name and on all the posts from this member...just in case as I have not worked out yet how to make a link to one of my previous post. Sorry :oops:

It is hard that we have to educate the professional. :wallbash:

Hope things improve for you.

Take care.

Malika.

Hi

Have a look at the post from Brook "came across this" In general dicussion; this could be given to the school as well it is very good. B)

Malika.