Sign in to follow this  
nix

statement or not

hi there i wonder if anyone can enlighten me. I have a son aged 4 who attends a school that is not in our LEA. He has school action plus funding allocated to him for 9000, this pays for one 2 one at all times. The LEA from where he attends the school have asked me to request a statement which i have and am currently going through the process of statutory assesment. The problem is that our LEA have said he doesnt need one and that the average amount they give is 4500 and cannot beleive the level of support I am getting and to stick with what I have got do you think this is because they dont want to match the amount ? and if i got the statement can they take the 9000 away ?I am really confused does the government pay the early years action plus and the council pay for the statement ? many thanks

>>He has school action plus funding allocated to him for 9000, this pays for one 2 one at all times.

That does seem very generous.

>>The problem is that our LEA have said he doesnt need one and that the average amount they give is 4500

Our LEA often says the most tehy give is 15 hoursof 1:1 - but that is not legal - they have to give as much as the child needs.

>>and cannot beleive the level of support I am getting and to stick with what I have got do you think this is because they dont want to match the amount ? and if i got the statement can they take the 9000 away ?

I suppose they are asking what you are going to gain from having a statement, if he is getting full-time 1:1 anyway. Yes, I suppose it is possible that the statement coudo recommend less hours 1:1.

>>I am really confused does the government pay the early years action plus and the council pay for the statement ? many thanks

Different Councils work funding differently. In ours, the schools are allocated a specific amount of money for each child on SA and a specific amount for each child on SA+ ( and the amount is very little). Generally in our LEA, a school does not get any extra money if a child with AS has a statement. They do is the statemented child is deaf though.

Karen

One thing to bear in mind is that a statement is legally enforceable, but the current arrangement isn't. That said you are getting the help you ned so you may not want to risk alienating the LEA at this point. It is a difficult balancing act.

Simon

Thanks i think that the school lea are trying to get money from my lea? I dont care as long as he still has his 1 2 1.

Nix - I think you might be correct in this.

At the moment the school LEA are funding 1:1 via the schools own budget - this is a lot to be funded for one child at School Action Plus - it may be that the HT at the school has identified this situation to the school LEA and they have realised a way to save some money. :(

If your son has a statement from his home LEA then they will be the ones funding the 1:1 and not the school LEA - however you will then face a battle :fight: to

a] get the statement :(

b] get the level of provision your son requires :(

and

c] get the present school named in the statement as it is out of the LEA :(

I would suggest you ring IPSEA on Monday and talk to them so you know exactly where you stand.

IPSEA: England and Wales (freephone):

0800 0184016

Mon to Thu 10--4 and 7--9;

Fri 10--1 and 7--9

Thanks for your reply I feel really sick that it has had to come to this. I can stop the statementing and keep the 9000 or get a statement and get 4500 which is the average for the area I just don t know what to do don t get me wrong the school so far have been brilliant but we can t sell our house and I have today reduced the price by 20000 because I am so worried.