Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

Traveling to school

My son goes to school by schoolbus (well, only when I manage to get him on it in the first place that is :wacko: ).

Last week he actually jumped the bus (got off at a further stop) and walked home. Fortunately he actually walked home, but he could have gone anywhere and anything could have happened :wacko: ... I wasn't even rung up till 10 o'clock (nearly 2 hours later) so I created a BIG fuss. :fight: They are now looking into a taxi service for him, but if this succeeds it won't be till after Xmas :blink: .

I was also told that if this happened again they would ring up as soon as the bus arrived AND that if any child wasn't in school and not registered they'd ring the parents.

Well, yesterday I couldn't get him on the bus and was ill so couldn't drive him in as I usually do. SCHOOL NEVER RANG TO TELL ME HE WASN'T THERE. What if I had sent him to the bus and he hadn't gotten on and hadn't gone home for whatever reason? I wouldn't have known till 15.35, a full 7 1/2 hours later............... :tearful:

I'm still ill and could barely walk to the busstop this morning, but didn't dare let him go alone because of the above :tearful: Not that he would have gone alone...

Someone told me that there is actually a law regarding this notification of parents when they don't arrive at school? Has anyone got any info, as I would very much like to make the school aware of this :shame: .......*putting boxing gloves on* :fight::fight::fight:

Another question is, if I were to refuse to drive him in when I can't get him on the bus (as this is highly inconvenient as I have to get his brother to school also and a business to run) and he then ends up not going to school like yesterday, who is responsible? Will this push the school to get that taxi for him, or will they just say that it is my duty to get him to school and hence they can prosecute me or whatever? :sick:

Hi M-I-N,

Somewhere about the forum there is (are) links to the DfES website and the documents relating to SEN specific LEA transport policies. Your LEA should have one. It should cover everything you mention - with the possible exception of the school failing to contact you. I am not sure what thread its in - it's out there somewhere. I am playing catch -up with the forum after the last week's events here. I'll have a look in later to see if you found it or not. If not I'll fish about for it.