Sign in to follow this  
Tez

GCSEs

I thought I had considered most of the difficulties that A would encounter in school when I wrote my parental advice but there's always another consideration that you didn't know about or have overlooked.

A met one of his home tutors for the first time today and she asked to see the work that the school had supplied him with.

She commented on the fact that all his GCSEs are modular exams requiring examinations to be taken at regular intervals that contribute to the final mark. She felt that this was probably not a suitable arrangement for him and that a terminal examination would probably be more appropriate, particularly given his current health difficulties. A agrees with her.

Have other parents who have been in this position with their teenagers got any views on how to determine which approach is best and the feasiblity of a single child in the school doing a terminal exam as opposed to modular exams, before I broach this matter with the LEA? Apparently, the course work would be the same and taught at the same time regardless of which approach to examinations is adopted.

Edited by Tez

Canopus,

I do know that A is taking AQA modular exams and that the exams are phased over the two year period. His first modular exam for Maths is due in March - his Maths teacher did write and tell me because she was concerned because she has been told that if a statement is issued it won''t be finalised until February at the earliest and since he can't return to school without extra support and he can't have that without a statement he won't have been taught anything. This first exam is apparently followed by others at 6 monthly intervals and all count towards the final grade as well as the course work.

I'm told that his Geography and Science are also modular exams and an exam is due for Geography in December.

T has done modules in Science and Maths.

They seem to be quite a good idea, in that in Science you get tested in what you have just done, and you can go into the exam knowing you already have X%.

T's school only has children with AS and ADHD and the Science Teacher is very good with them - she must think the module way is better.

Karen