Sign in to follow this  
nvapid

kill 'em with kindness!!!

for the last 5 years my son's iep has covered the same points which were not appropriate for his AS, did not understand the disfucntion and showed not only no improvement, but ALL of the strategies and resources were based on B sorting himself out without any teaching help - other than to point out when he needed to behave.

So! Fed up with hearing how teachers don't care and faced with yet ANOTHER IEP review - I went all helpful proactive - AND WROTE IT MYSELF!

I went in and appologised for hijacking the meeting from the start, but as the primary expert (as they had been telling me i knew my son better than they did) and as all other previous IEPs had failed to achieve any results and were now obvious to be inappropriate to his condition - lets just scrap the review of old targets and start off with fresh ones. And I wanted a input on the IEP from the social skills teacher as well.

They bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Progress at last!!!

i cant get it to show a table so...

a) = Targets

b ) = Strategies and resources

c) = Exit Criteria

1. a) Stress - Need to recognise signal of stress, both by B and by teachers.

b ) Apply "rage cycle" management with direct re-enforcement in Social Skills group - i.e. what is done in class is discussed in SS

c) Demonstration and acknowledgement of stress signals. B is able to communicate the onset of stress to an adult (who listens and he can trust to help)

2. a) Communication - listening and response skills

b ) Use of "keywords" (Raising a Thinking Child) to signal/trigger responses: if/then, same time/different time, now/when?

c) Can demonstrate use of keywords to initiate and hold a conversation

3. a) Comprehension - listening to and understanding instructions and understanding abstract applications

b ) Extra time spent on checking that B understands what to do, not only able to repeat back instructions, although that is also an issue

c) Can apply abstract concepts to inferred instruction correctly

4. a) Education - B is falling behind in Maths, what used to be his strongest subject.

b ) Use of "cool zone" or "quiet area" within the classroom. Specific signals devised to signal need for help/ask a question (as actually asking may cause embarrassment), extra time to complete work, signally when the task is coming to an end (you have 5 minutes then we will do?), review of last learning block, encouragement (yes, I know it is hard but I know you can!)

c) More confidence at beginning the task. Less stress, more comfortable with asking for help. Improvement in scores.

Social Skills review

What was covered?

What was the outcome?

Next Step?

Edited by nvapid

:lol: I just rewrote part of my sons at parents evening, she seemed a bit suprised when I said sorry I don't agree with it, will you change this this and this , thanks B)