Sign in to follow this  
linss

Help

Hi, my sons teacher has just left a message on my phone saying that she'd "assumed " i'd be accompanying him on his school trip on Thursday(he's 6).

When i phoned back i explained that i couldn't ,one reason being that i didn't have child care for my two year old.Can't believe it she actually told me to bring her said it would be a" great learning experience."

I told her this was out of the question as we both new my son needed one to one and i couldn't do this whilst carrying a toddler, and where was his TA (which he's now got thanks to his statement)

She then told me that in that case he wouldn't be able to go regardless of whether he had a TA or not as she couldn't face the risk of taking him without me. Believe me this is a huge exaggeration on her part the biggest problem we would face is him refusing to follow the other children into another area and this would be due to him having some anxiety about whats ahead.

I said that i would do all i could to rearange my schedule but that wasn't it actually their responsibility to provide care for him at school now that he has his statement? She replied "We won't be in school so he's not , he's yours".

AT which point i backed down !!! so it looks like i'm off to the Aqairium :angry:

Please help me on this :unsure: if i say no or raise an issue they just insinuate tough this is how it is!

Plus there are issues i want to address with them soon about about how they've been dealing with him i'm now worried about bringing it up.

Edited by linss

Hi Linss,

This is Discrimination against your son :angry: .

Please call http://www.ipsea.org.uk/ ASAP. They may be able to help you with your other school issues too. They are busy, but please keep trying. They are excellent and are used to hearing this kind of thing.

I said that i would do all i could to rearange my schedule but that wasn't it actually their responsibility to provide care for him at school now that he has his statement? She replied "We won't be in school so he's not , he's yours".

It is a school trip in school time and they do have to provide care for him, not exclude or discriminate against him.

Let us know how you get on.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Contacting your local authority's Inclusion officers will probably be the quickest way of dealing with this. It's completely out of order.

With the other problems, talk them over with IPSEA.

Contact the Disability Rights Commision pronto - the teacher has just informed you that they are going to discriminate against your son purely on the grounds of his disability. A 'risk management' of the trip should have been carried out, under this if your son cannot go - the class/school cannot go!

They are out of order, and outside the law!

Thanks SO much for your words of support .I'm going to speak to school tomorrow so if you see storm clouds brewing over the south west you'll know why!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'll let you know the out come :)