Sign in to follow this  
mici

report off ep

hello everyone hope all is well . recieved report of ep on sat , just a bit confused at what shes put, has anyone had anything similar or can anyone shed a little light.

recomondations

due to the need to bring information together i think it would be wise for the school to ask the LA to

initiate a statutary assesment of c special education needs. in terms of actions taken by the school

to support corey he is likely to meet criteria. in terms of the severity of his educational i am not as certain that a statment would be appropiate for c . school may wish to consider his attainment in terms of p- levels. however the process of conducting a statutary assesment and gathering together of advise from the range of agencies involved would be helpful.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

does she or doesnt she think he needs this help??????????

its probably me being thick :oops::oops: but im quite confused as she has made quite a few points on the statment at things she has seen.

I do hope theres someone out there that can read between the lines.

many thanks mici xx

it means

Corey needs a full assessment to ascertain what his needs are

but she is not sure that he will need a statement.

she is not ruling it out though - which is good.

you can argue for a statement yourself as part of the process - you will be asked to put in a 'parental advice' as part of the process - basically a statement about Corey and his needs and what you think should happen

p-levels (or pivats) are stages below national curriculum level 1 and are split into sub-levels P1-8. They are used for preschool assessments, in early years and for children with SEN. I think she is recommending that school uses these to assess Corey - how old is he?

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

Hi, it sounds to me like she is recommending a formal assessment of his needs, this would involve various assessments from those thought to be able to offer input.They could be SALT, O.T. ,E.P, social services, peadiatrition, ...etc.Having this assessment would give a clearer picture to what the educational needs are. But she does say this may not be a statement. You may have to fight for this but you do have input as in the parental advice, good luck.

P-scales are in use through Y1 and a few children may still be on them in Y2 so this is not uncommon at 6 for a child with SEN.

social services are not part of the statutory assessment although they may be involved if a child has already been referred. It is also unlikely that OT will be involved unless there are physical difficulties although the assessment may indicate referral to OT. If your son has an ASD then the team or advisor for autism will probably be involved. There will definitely be a medical check from the school doctor.

you should be able to attend all assessments and speak to the professionals - do this if you can as it gives you an opportunity to say how you feel about things.

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

is it up to the school to do this if they think fit or do they have a choice as to be honest i dont think

the school really cares . c at the mo is having outreach sessions with social services on fridays

the school says his behaviour is controlable yet they made the referal to the ep this is what they put

concerns expressed by school on referal were c poor co-ordination, speech difficulties,over activity, attention and concentration. when i went to see the school ped she phoneed the school and asked about c but guess what they said well behaved young man unreal as the week before they were telling me that he needs alot of reminding on how to behave unreal they have said quite a few contredicting things to proffesionals and then different things to us . they didnt tell us that he was getting extra help on monday last thing and all day friday, he goes with 3 other children. the level of comunication is rediculous

they told a proffesional that he was working at reception level yet they als told us that he was just a little behind :unsure::unsure::unsure:

they also told him that there was a class room ass in the class perminatly to stop him from wondering off

we wernt told any of this. im not very good at dealing with these type of situations very nervous person

overall.

be honest dont know what to think my heads done in cant stop :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: need to harden up a little i think .

thanks for all the advise i actually thought the p-levels were progress levels :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

thanks anyway guys :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Hi Mici

It sounds like the LEA may issue a 'Note In Lieu' which will detail all the difficulties and what is needed to meet those difficulties but will not be legally enforceable.

I would contact NAS or IPSEA to get some support on this.

Are there any support groups in your area. It may help to join, to get additional advice, direct from parents, on how things are done in your own LEA.

Good luck Mici

HelenL

hi helen ,thanks for that , what is ipsea not very good with all this , i think this site is just about keeping me sain at the mo. i really dont know where id of been without it .

how do u go about joining a group like this. c is cutterntly in the middle of being diagnos now and has been for the last 18mhts , its so hard not having the dx shes mentioned quite alot of things though damp adhd dyspraxia as he seems to have a varied combination .

You might need to print the jargon-buster off. Click here.

This cuts through all the nic-names in use.

I'd agree with what everyone else has said. She doesn't think he'll be statemented but believes the assesment process will at least get all the right people talking to each other. IPSEA will help you with the in's and out's of all this.

IPSEA: Independent Panel for Special Educational Needs. Voluntary support for special eduction. contact them by clicking here.

Hope that helps.

No you're not. When you use the acronyms all the time you think everyone knows what they mean. You take it for granted. As long as people get the info from one of us on here that's all that matters.