Sign in to follow this  
Destrum

What a bright boy

Martin is proving more hard to handle since he has recieved his dx this is a very interesting fact to handle.

He has discovered that because there are still things we don't understand he can do things to avoid doing what he is meant to. :devil:

Arrgghhh! Bed time is the worst because we try not to overload his system with to much information so we try and slow things down this can mean he is up for ages l8r than he shud be.

Please God :pray: Help me!!

He will just cut out doing sumthing so he does not hav to do evrything else and because he does this we forget about it and don't get him to do evrything he is meant to do.

this is a common problem for newly diagnosed people and their families - the cry of 'more autistic by the day' or 'I thought things would get better after diagnosis' is common if you hunt through some of the threads and the older they are the worse it seems to be, almost like they have to 'grow into' the diagnosis.

how old is Martin?

this may be because they are exploring what the diagnosis means for them, almost as if they have permission to be autistic so they just let their hair down and revel in it. They are no longer wondering why they do things the way they do or why they feel different because now they know why and don't need to be the same any more.

At the same time we're pussyfooting around trying to make allowances and trying to make life easier for the AS person which obviously disturbs the balance in the household - remember AS people like routine so these changes, however beneficial in the long run, are probably unsettling.

it is going to take you all a while to figure out how to manage things so you can all relax and get on with life again

try to take it easy - and perhaps try negotiating a set of bedtime rules that give him the time he needs and the routine he needs too

stay strong

Zemanski

7-9 is one of those ages where AS seems to go up a knotch and become more obvious(which may be why he's just got diagnosis), seems to happen again around 12-14. It may be that there are changes in social structures around these ages and the complexities increase stress for the AS person and bring out the autism more.

take care

Zemanski

Hi :)

What I found when I got the DX (last year, my son is now 8) is that: "now everybody will know what to do things can only improved", well it is not quite like this and aboveall most of improvement I have notice with mine seems to require months if not years of input :blink: . Having a DX cannot change that. The positive aspect of it all is you can learn how to deal with problems in a better way, not to forget that autism cannot be an excuse for everything but I find myself that it is difficult to find a good balance. :oops:

Try not to get stress and not to think that you have to do it all, there are lot of behaviours that you won't be able to avoid but with patience and understanding it will get better. ;)

Take care.

Malika.

Sorry

Just ###### back on i hav been really busy lately martin is doin really well but his attitude towards my cousin is gettin worse.

He used to play really well with him but is gettin a bit violent recently (he can't tell that my cousin doesn't like it because of his AS) theres another one to puzzle ovr.

:( still confused :( as always but i'll try harder

Mum here Destrum,

Disagree with you actually. Compared to a few weeks ago Martin's attitude to the toddler has improved dramatically.

They play together, little one calls him by name and he loves to cuddle up to him when they're snacking on crisps. Look at the positives, not the negatives and you will find a vast improvement.

Often with AS you have to concentrate on the positives as these are what show that understanding is occuring.

It is true Martin can't read the signs from the little one but he is learning. Watch and you will see :D