Sign in to follow this  
pingu

Carers Allowence

Hi everyone.

I have just had a converstion with someone, who seems to think that we would be entitled to 'Carers allowence' I explained that we are recieving DLA at the middle rate, with nothing for mobility. But this lady said they are 2 seperate things. I dont know how true it is or if indeed this lady was mistaken or its true. I thought if we were getting DLA that was the same thing. Anyway if anyone else has any information on this i would really appriciate it.

I also had a visit today from an OT. Who saw what a climber kieran was, she came to look at the windows in his bedroom, as they don't have any restricters on so we have to keep them locked. She is going to try and get some fitted for us. She also saw first hand, the 'climbing' As kieran walked up the doorframe, and across the raidiator. :wub: I explained that he had no sense of danger, whilst in and out of the house, and she explained that we could apply for a buggy to use while we are out (at present we use the buggy he was in as a baby) She also mentioned that she could get a stair gate (5ft) to deter him from comming down when he sleepwalks.

Im really glad she came now, as its such a change for someone to walk in and understand the needs of a child rather than having to fight for everything.

He was a little (shall we say) 'hyper' whilst she was here, But at least she could see where the difficulties lie.

She looked horrified as kieran scrambled up the door frame like spiderman, Cackling all the time as i told him off :oops: . But anyway, just another day in the life eh. :whistle:

Any info on this carers thing would be great.

Take care

Shaz

x

:pray:

Shaz,

Your friend is right, they are two separate things.

This is taken from the forum Jargon Buster.

Carers Allowance: (formerly called Invalid Care Allowance) is a taxable benefit paid to people aged 16 or over who are caring for someone who is receiving or waiting to hear about Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or higher rate for personal care). You must be spending at least 35 hours a week caring for this person. 0800 88 22 00.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/c...s_allowance.asp

Looks like you had a busy but productive morning. :thumbs:

Nellie xx

hi shaz

we applied for the carers allowence and got it,we did have to go to our local jobcentre for an interview about jobs,not the best expierience i have had,i have never claimed for anything before and was made to feel very uncomfortable but i wasnt going to let anybody get to me,so pushed forward the key is not to let all those forms get to you think of the bigger picture hope all goes well koala

Hi Shaz,

It's worth applying for Carers Allowance, the form isn't as difficult to fill in as the DLA one! You can apply online if you want to. I applied and got it without too much trouble. The process is fairly straightforward, especially if you are not doing paid work. If you do work, you can only get CA if you earn less than �82 a week.

K